Director - Global Privacy Team Job
Date: Feb 23, 2014
Location: New York, NY, US
This position is part of the Global Privacy Team within the American Express (AXP) Chief Privacy Office, and will be located in New York. The position reports to the VP, Global Policy and Program.
Privacy is a key contributor to loyalty, customer experience, and the American Express brand. The Global Privacy Team is responsible for maintaining and enhancing a global policy framework that operates effectively and flexibly within AXP’s matrixes global organization. AXP’s policies and standards assign key governance responsibilities and help ensure that the company complies with relevant laws and regulations and strategic business requirements. AXP’s policy framework aims to be strategic in outlook and risk based, in support of effective privacy risk management across the enterprise.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
Leading on enhancing and implementing a global policy framework that works well within a matrixes organization, incorporating global, market/legal entity and business unit level policies, standards, and procedures.
- Working and collaborating closely with the legal and compliance organization to ensure integration into their structures, processes and governance;
- Developing innovative policy solutions that comply with legal and regulatory requirements as well as serve strategic business needs;
- Implementing the policy framework and validating content and overall approach regularly;
- Collaborating with other partners across the organization and leading an end-to-end process for effective legal and regulatory change management;
- Working and collaborating closely with other teams in the Chief Privacy Office to provide effective leadership, management and implementation supporting global privacy program effectiveness, privacy risk mitigation strategies and core technical capabilities;
- Educating the market data protection officers, the business, staff groups and other partners on the policy framework and its components through training, awareness and communication activities;
- Fostering a culture of privacy at American Express by advocating for privacy-by-design, integration of the American Express Data Protection & Privacy Principles, accountability and the sharing of best practices.
Skills and Experience
· Leadership skills with ability to build relationships, mobilize cross functional, cross-market teams and work independently in a highly matrixes organization highly desired;
· Skills necessary to lead a consensus-building process to develop innovative policy solutions;
· Understanding of global privacy legal/regulatory requirements required;
· Excellent analysis, writing and communication skills with ability to communicate to diverse audiences required;
· Experience at financial services, digital or technology global company preferred;
· Strong knowledge in digital technologies and the online space (e.g. social media, cookies, mobile apps, Big Data, alternative payments), with particular focus on how these technologies are used to collect, use and/or share information;
· Highly organized, with strong project management skills with proficiency in managing multiple projects simultaneously;
· Advanced degree in law, technology or public policy and relevant professional qualifications preferred, e.g. LLB or LLM, JD, Master’s degree in Public Policy or equivalent, Certified International Privacy Professional (CIPP) certification.
· Intellectual curiosity – looking to grow and progress at American Express.
· Ability to work well under pressure, patience, diplomacy, high stress tolerance, excellent interpersonal communication skills, ability to prioritize workload and adapt to changing conditions.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer.
Primary Location: US-New York-New York
Job Segments: Manager, Law, Credit, Compliance, Risk Management, Management, Legal, Finance