Lead Information Security Counsel Job
Date: Feb 20, 2014
Location: New York, NY, US
The American Express General Counsel’s Office is seeking to hire an experienced, hard-working and creative information security attorney to join its Technology & Digital Law Group. The Technology & Digital Law Group is a team of lawyers and paralegals that provides legal support to American Express in the areas of technology, data security, electronic and mobile commerce, Internet, social media, outsourcing, telecommunications, and general contracting.
This position will serve as the legal advisor to the Chief Information Security Office, and requires significant interaction with various levels of the company’s management, including representatives from the Chief Information Security Office, the Privacy Office, Global Supply Management, Government Affairs, Operational Risk, Market Compliance Officers, and Business Units, on a wide variety of matters. The position also requires interacting with outside counsel around the world. Specific duties include:
- Providing legal support and leadership on all aspects of information security at American Express, including its strategy, policies and practices.
- Supporting the Enterprise Incident Response Program, and providing crisis-management and resolution support related to security incidents.
- Reviewing, interpreting, commenting, and providing thought leadership on proposed legislation, regulations and practices related to cyber security.
- Advising on information security issues in mobile, social media, digital payments, and other cutting edge products and initiatives.
- Advising on and negotiating information security issues in deals and arrangements with third parties.
- Maintaining enterprise-wide information protection contract requirements based on best practices and current law, and advising and training internal business clients on these requirements.
- Serving as a resource on day-to-day data security and related privacy matters across the enterprise.
- Providing regulatory and audit support.
- JD or equivalent degree
- Member in good standing or eligibility for admission to NY bar
- Minimum of 7-10 years relevant experience (at a major law firm or in-house legal department, ideally both)
- Strong experience with Information Security and Privacy law is required
- Strong negotiation and drafting skills, and experience negotiating a variety of technology and commercial transactions is strongly preferred
- Experience in financial services and with financial regulators, and strong working knowledge of Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and state and foreign breach notification rules a plus
- Executive presence, combined with strong interpersonal and organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to proactively provide sound legal advice
- Demonstrated ability to exercise keen business judgment, advise senior management and implement policies and processes in a dynamic and fast paced environment
- Ability and desire to collaborate with cross-functional teams
- Independent, self-starter capable of handling multiple assignments simultaneously
- International experience preferred
- CIPP and CIPP/IT certification a plus
Primary Location: US-New York-New York
Job Segments: Telecom, Telecommunications, Information Security, Security, Law, Technology, Legal