American Express in the Nordics is growing and so is the Legal department – we are looking for an Associate Legal Counsel to join our team!
American Express is a global service company, providing customers with exceptional access to products and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. We’re committed to becoming the world’s most respected service brand and daily deliver extraordinary service to our customers, constantly reinventing our ways of working to ensure we offer rich rewards that redefine expectations for our clients and ourselves.
Across the Nordics, American Express operates as both a card issuer and a payments service provider putting our business in the center of the ever-evolving regulatory landscape of payments. As American Express in the Nordic region is one of the fastest growing international businesses of American Express world-wide, the legal team needs to grow with it! We are therefore currently looking for an ambitious lawyer to join the Nordic legal department based in Stockholm.
What you will do
As part of the Nordic legal team your main task will be to provide legal expertise and strategic advice that helps our business partners manage risk, identify opportunities, and deliver on the company’s promise of exceptional products and services. Besides working closely with business stakeholders, you will work together with legal teams across the globe, in a truly international environment. As Associate Counsel you will be working together with, and under the direction of, the Market Counsel to provide legal support within a wide variety of matters to the different business units of American Express across Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark, including:
- Providing practical, business-oriented legal advice to the business units and support in connection with the company’s card issuing and merchant acquiring activities
- Providing legal advice on different areas of law, such as general contract law, financial regulation, anti-money laundering, consumer protection and data privacy
- Oversight and management of external counsel
- Monitoring of relevant legislative developments at the domestic and international level (in particular EU Directives and Regulations) and proactively analyzing potential impact of such developments and providing thought leadership in advising on their application to the business
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts with third parties.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
Who you are
We are looking for an ambitious and driven lawyer who wants to work in an international environment and be part of the exciting world of payments. You will play an important role in supporting the growth of American Express in the Nordics by leveraging your legal and analytical skills to solve complex problems and drive change. Strong relationship skills, an ability to adopt a commercial, business orientated approach, take charge and “get things done” constitute basic requirements. The right candidate should be detail-oriented, have a systematic way of working and be able to work both independently with limited supervision and as part of a team. Further you should have:
- Professional practice experience (preferably at least 2 years) at a well renowned law firm or in-house corporate lawyer experience, preferably from the financial sector.
- Master’s degree (LLM, jur. kand. or equivalent) in Swedish law.
- Working knowledge of applicable EU and Swedish law relating to some or all of: retail consumer credit, consumer protection, anti-money laundering, data protection and/or financial regulation.
- Able to communicate clearly, concisely, effectively and persuasively in Swedish and English with clients, senior management and external parties, both orally and in writing.
- Strong interest in financial regulation and the payments industry
- Ability to independently handle and manage legal matters and prioritize conflicting demands in a fast-paced environment while maintaining high attention to detail and meeting deadlines as well as client expectations
- Capacity to be agile and pivot appropriately when challenged with new information or evolving circumstances.
What we can offer
Given the dynamic nature of the global payments industry and the valued partnership between the legal team and the business, we see it as imperative to attract and develop talented people by:
Providing rich work experiences and opportunities for professional development
Recognizing and rewarding those who drive and deliver results
Respecting and valuing diversity, integrity, and personal accountability.
You will be given continuous coaching and feedback, to get the best chances to succeed in your role. You will be offered an exciting role in a truly international company, with the opportunity to develop and grow!
The success of American Express since its inception has been defined by its ability to innovate, evolve, disrupt, and take risks. What has remained constant throughout this history of transformation is our dedication to our customers, to our employees, and to the values on which American Express was built: integrity, quality, respect, and community.
Our open, creative, and collaborative culture is a big part of why American Express is an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. So, if you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
Amex have been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jan 12, 2021, 9:48:13 AM