You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible — and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.
How we serve our customers is constantly evolving and is a challenge we gladly accept. Whether you’re finding new ways to prevent identity fraud or enabling customers to start a new business, you can work with one of the most valuable data sets in the world to identify insights and actions that can have a meaningful impact on our customers and our business. And, with opportunities to learn from leaders who have defined the course of our industry, you can grow your career and define your own path.
The Legal Services Team (LST) is part of American Express General Counsel’s Office (GCO). We deliver legal support within the GCO and also to global clients across all business lines within American Express.
We are embarking on a period of expansion and will be growing our team of lawyers in Kuala Lumpur.
We are looking for a motivated, proactive lawyer experienced in commercial contracts to support our expansion in a regional role based permanently in Kuala Lumpur.
This international role will be integral to the LST mission to provide efficient, consistent, innovative and high quality legal support.
The successful candidate will manage a team of junior lawyers in Kuala Lumpur and support existing partnerships in the APAC region including providing support to the EMEA LST team as required.
Interested candidates would be able to demonstrate ability to lead LST members, work effectively with the LST global team and undertake and supervise workstreams independently. In addition, the candidates should possess a strong ability and credibility to manage relationships and work with global clients on a day to day basis.
Contribute as an independent, trusted legal advisor within GCO and the wider Amex business by:
- Identifying and effectively managing legal risk.
- Taking instructions and supporting other lawyers or legal teams in General Counsel’s Office (GCO) primarily across the APAC region and EMEA as required.
- Providing sound, commercial legal advice and support across all business units, including drafting, reviewing, analysing and negotiating a wide range of agreements and legal documents, including confidentiality, procurement, funding and ancillary contracts with our bank partners in the APAC region, card acceptance agreements for our proprietary markets, sponsorship and marketing contracts as well as other commercial contracts as required..
- Supporting internal governance and approval processes, including coordinating with compliance, risk, finance and other internal stakeholders as appropriate.
- Instructing and liaising with various outside counsels to obtain, challenge and finalise legal advice/opinions on various projects, legal advice and agreements
- Carrying out legal research on behalf of our GCO colleagues.
- Reviewing and amending various internal and external servicing and marketing communications, company and product application forms and company secretarial matters as required..
- Providing training workshops as required.
Lead and supervise the work of other legal workflow team members, including:
- Coaching, mentoring and supervising direct reports in the Kuala Lumpur office.
- Promoting the success of direct reports by acknowledging and rewarding achievements.
- Identifying areas that need increased leadership focus.
- Implementing and improving methods for legal knowledge management.
- Contributing to LST’s training and development programme.
- Ensuring LST’s adherence to any company-wide and GCO-specific processes and procedures.
- Preparing and delivering internal training as required.
- Supporting budgeting and control tasks; performing other duties as assigned by the LST Directos or Team Leader from time to time
Required skills and Qualifications:
- Qualified to practice in Malaysia.
- Minimum of 10 years PQE although strong candidates with less experience will also be considered.
- In-house experience in financial services is preferred but not mandatory.
- Quality experience in advising on commercial contracts.
- Solid drafting, research and negotiation/influencing skills.
- Solid analytical skills and high attention to detail.
- Solid understanding of general principles of law applicable to commercial practice.
- Intellectually strong with ability to rapidly grasp key issues.
- Ability to work under time pressure to meet tight deadlines and clients’ expectations.
- Proven track record in leading, supervising and developing other professionals
- Fluency in an additional language other than English and Malay (such as Mandarin) is preferred but not mandatory.
Required personal attributes:
- Ability to interpret and apply legal issues in a practical, hands-on, common sense manner.
- Skilled management and prioritisation with respect to the handling of own caseload, clients and direct reports.
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, effectively and persuasively with clients, senior business, legal management and external regulators, both orally and in writing.
- Able and willing to work both as part of a team and independently with minimal supervision.
- Passionate about commercial law, inquisitive, able to self-initiate learning and brainstorming.
- Strategic thinker with good business understanding and analytical skills.
- Strong ability to build solid working relationships.
- Energised team player with a genuine desire to coach, nurture and develop talent.
- Willingness to learn and grow, and to leverage experience gained in this position to expand skill set for future career growth at American Express.
- Proven ability to help identify and implement improvements in work process to enhance efficiency and productivity.
- Commitment to integrity and American Express Values
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jan 4, 2021, 1:12:33 AM