You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible — and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.
How we serve our customers is constantly evolving and is a challenge we gladly accept. Whether you’re finding new ways to prevent identity fraud or enabling customers to start a new business, you can work with one of the most valuable data sets in the world to identify insights and actions that can have a meaningful impact on our customers and our business. And, with opportunities to learn from leaders who have defined the course of our industry, you can grow your career and define your own path.
The Legal Services Team is part of American Express General Counsel’s Office (GCO). We deliver legal support within the GCO and also to global clients across all business lines within American Express.
We are embarking on a period of expansion and will be growing our team of lawyers in Kuala Lumpur.
We are looking for a motivated, proactive lawyer experienced in commercial contracts to support our expansion.
This international role will be integral to the Legal Services Team mission to provide efficient, consistent, innovative and high quality legal support in a regional role based permanently in Kuala Lumpur reporting into a senior lawyer in Kuala Lumpur.
Interested candidates should be able to demonstrate good commercial awareness and experience of working in a commercial contract space. Candidates must be able to use their legal skills to work closely with global key business clients, the LST leadership and colleagues within the LST team on a day to day basis. In addition, the candidates should possess strong ability to manage stakeholders and demonstrate a track record of excellent client care.
Contribute as an independent, trusted legal advisor within General Counsel’s Office (GCO) and the wider Amex business by:
- Identifying and effectively managing legal risk.
- Taking instructions and supporting the Team Leader in Kuala Lumpur other lawyers or legal teams in GCO primarily across the APAC region and EMEA as required.
- Providing sound, commercial legal advice and support across all business units, including drafting, reviewing, analysing and negotiating a wide range of agreements and legal documents, including confidentiality procurement,. funding and ancillary contracts with our bank partners in the APAC region, card acceptance agreements for our proprietary markets, sponsorship and marketing contracts as well as other commercial contracts as required.
- Supporting internal governance and approval processes, including coordinating with compliance, risk, finance and other internal stakeholders as appropriate.
- Instructing and liaising with various outside counsels to obtain, challenge and finalise legal advice/opinions on various projects, legal advice and agreements.
- Carrying out legal research on behalf of our GCO colleagues .
- Reviewing and amending various internal and external servicing and marketing communications, company and product application forms and company secretarial matters as required.
- Performing duties assigned by the LST leadership team..
Working with other legal workflow team members, including:
- Improving methods for legal knowledge management.
- Contributing to LST’s training and development programme.
- Ensuring LST’s adherence to any company-wide and GCO-specific processes and procedures.
- Preparing and delivering internal training as required.
- Performing other duties as assigned by the LST leadership from time to time.
Required skills and Qualifications:
- Qualified to practice in Malaysia.
- Minimum of 5 years PQE although strong candidates with less experience will also be considered.
- In-house experience in financial services is preferred but not mandatory.
- Quality experience in advising on commercial contracts.
- Solid drafting, research and negotiation/influencing skills.
- Solid analytical skills and high attention to detail.
- Solid understanding of general principles of law applicable to commercial practice.
- Intellectually strong with ability to rapidly grasp key issues.
- Ability to work under time pressure to meet tight deadlines and clients’ expectations.
- Fluency in an additional language other than English and Malay (such as Mandarin) is preferred but not mandatory.
Required personal attributes:
- A real team player with a willingness to share knowledge, teach and learn.
- A self-started able to handle own caseload and clients.
- Ability to interpret and apply legal issues in a practical, hands-on, common sense manner.
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, effectively and persuasively with clients, senior business, legal management and external regulators, both orally and in writing.
- Passionate about commercial law, inquisitive, able to self-initiate learning and brainstorming.
- Strategic thinker with good business understanding and analytical skills.
- Strong ability to build solid working relationships.
- Willingness to learn and grow, and to leverage experience gained in this position to expand skill set for future career growth at American Express.
- Proven ability to help identify and implement improvements in work process to enhance efficiency and productivity.
- Commitment to integrity and American Express Value
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
We place great importance on doing what is right, what is best and what is innovative. We continue to seek people who will champion these values and beliefs as we grow. The world’s a big place, filled with big ideas and amazing people and we want the best of them here at American Express.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jan 4, 2021, 1:18:14 AM