General Counsel’s Organization:
Where great legal minds influence global business strategy.
Our mission is to protect and strengthen American Express through legal expertise and strategic advice that helps our business partners manage risk, identify opportunities, and deliver on the company’s promise of exceptional products and services. Given the dynamic nature of the global payments industry and the valued partnership between our team and the business, we see it as imperative to attract and develop talented people by:
- Providing rich work experiences and opportunities for professional development
- Recognizing and rewarding those who drive and deliver results
- Respecting and valuing diversity, integrity, and personal accountability
Role & Responsibilities:
The Advertising, Marketing & Customer Experience Team of the General Counsel’s Organization at American Express is seeking a Manager & Counsel to provide legal and strategic support on advertising and marketing law issues.
Here’s just some of what you’ll do in this role:
- As a member of the GCO Marketing Center of Excellence, advise marketing teams across the Company, including the Consumer, Business, Corporate, and Global Merchant & Network Services marketing groups, to help them manage legal risk while delivering on their mission to deploy compelling marketing and provide innovative and valuable offers, benefits and experiences to current and prospective Card Members and customers
- Serve as an advisor to GCO colleagues and marketing teams on complex and novel advertising initiatives, including the marketing of new and refreshed benefits, products, offers and promotions, native advertising, endorsements and testimonials, and claim substantiation
- Help develop and advise on internal marketing guidelines and marketing review processes
- Review and counsel on advertising campaigns across all media, including social media, affiliate marketing and influencer channels
- Draft and revise marketing claims, disclosures and other customer communications
- Collaborate with colleagues across the General Counsel’s Organization and other groups, like Privacy and Compliance
- J.D. with admission to practice law in the United States; admission to the New York and/or Florida Bar in good standing or eligibility to do so is preferred
- 2+ years of work experience in a law firm and/or in-house corporate legal environment
- Passion for working towards creative, solution-oriented outcomes that effectively address legal requirements
- Passion for developing a deep understanding of business needs and objectives with a close partnership with business clients
- Strong communication skills with ability to convey advice clearly and synthesize complex issues
- Must work well in cross-functional team settings
- Demonstrated experience in gaining credibility, managing expectations, and developing strong working relationships with legal colleagues and clients
- Strong interest in advertising and customer experience
- Experience advising marketing teams and/or reviewing advertising content and customer offers
- Knowledge of advertising laws, including FTC guidelines, state UDAP laws, and CFPB UDAAP principles
- Experience drafting and negotiating agreements
- Location: Sunrise, FL
- Position will currently be work-from-home due to COVID-19. American Express is committed to the well-being of its colleagues and to creating a safe work environment; colleagues will continue to work remotely until a return to the office can be safely accomplished.
- Ongoing Workplace Flexibility: Potential to work remotely part of the time based on current projects and team needs.
- Travel: Little to none
- Visa Sponsorship: Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for this position.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jan 4, 2021, 1:30:40 PM