General Counsel’s Organization:
Where great legal minds influence global business strategy.
The Regulatory Banking & Insurance Team of the General Counsel’s Organization at American Express is seeking an Associate Counsel to provide legal and strategic support on bank regulatory and insurance issues. This position will report to a Senior Counsel and have responsibility to the Counsel for insurance.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Serve as an advisor on various U.S. consumer financial regulatory matters, including collections
- Serve as an advisor to insurance claims operations
- Analyze complex legal questions, problems, cases and/or facts
- Inform appropriate colleagues of legal developments arising from case law, statutory and regulatory activity, in additional to internal business strategies
- Collaborate with colleagues across the General Counsel’s Organization and other groups
Are you ready for the challenge?
- J.D. with admission to practice law in the U.S.
- 2+ years of relevant work experience in a law firm and/or in-house corporate legal environment
- Interest in developing a deep understanding of business needs and objectives with a close partnership with business clients
- Strong communication skills with ability to convey advice clearly and synthesize complex issues
- Must work well in cross-functional team settings
- Admission to the New York Bar in good standing or eligibility to do so
- Strong experience with U.S. bank regulatory (consumer and/or prudential) matters
- Insurance coverage work and P&C claims adjusting
- Experience working with financial institutions
- Passion for working towards creative, solution-oriented outcomes that effectively address legal requirements
- Independent, capable of handling multiple assignments simultaneously
- Location: 200 Vesey St, New York, NY 10285
- Visa Sponsorship: Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for this position.
Delivering extraordinary experiences to its customers and employees every day.
The success of American Express since its inception has been defined by its ability to innovate, evolve, disrupt, and take risks. What has remained constant throughout this history of transformation is our dedication to our customers, to our employees, and to the values on which American Express was built: integrity, quality, respect, and community.
Our open, creative, and collaborative culture is a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. So if you are ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jan 12, 2021, 11:20:55 AM