General Counsel’s Organization:
Role & Responsibilities:
Help propel your team and its business partners to success.
Candidates for the position should have a minimum of 6 years of employment law practice in a law firm or in-house legal department.
Here’s just some of what you’ll do in this role:
- Advise and support American Express Human Resources and internal business partners on a wide-range of employment-related matters including those related to hiring, performance management, terminations, discrimination, harassment, accommodations, leaves of absence, wage and hour issues, incentive compensation issues, diversity and inclusion issues, employee investigations and reengineering initiatives.
- Set strategy and manage employment litigations, arbitrations and mediations handled by outside counsel; negotiate settlement of employment related matters.
- Develop, draft and implement employment-related programs, policies and documents.
- Research and advise management on emerging employment-related legal trends.
Are you ready for the challenge?
- Bachelor’s degree and J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school
- Qualified to practice law in relevant jurisdiction
- At least 6 years employment law practice in a law firm or in-house corporate legal department
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must have strong analytical, problem-solving, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Must have the ability to independently manage and prioritize competing demands and multiple issues, while maintaining high attention to detail
- Excellent judgment and ability to develop and implement creative and practical solutions to complex employment-related issues affecting the organization
- Experience counseling clients on a wide range of employment law issues including discrimination, retaliation and harassment issues, wage and hour issues, leave of absence and disability/accommodation issues, affirmative action issues
- Experience litigating employment related issues
- Ability to build relationships and partner with others to drive results
- Ability to pivot appropriately when challenged with new information or evolving circumstances
- Employment law experience in a law firm or an in-house corporate legal department
- General experience with international employment laws or issues
- Location: 200 Vesey St, New York, NY
- Workplace flexibility: Position will currently be work-from-home due to COVID-19. American Express is committed to the well-being of its colleagues and to creating a safe work environment; colleagues will continue to work remotely until a return to the office can be safely accomplished.
- Travel: Occasional
- Visa Sponsorship: Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jan 11, 2021, 10:04:04 AM