“You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible - and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.”
- Functioning as senior member of an Agile team helping drive consistent development practices (tools, common components, and documentation).
- Analyzing business features and user stories and refining with the Product Owner to appropriately support design and build activities.
- Working with Product Owners to prioritize features and manage a list of technical requirements based on industry trends, new technologies, known defects, and issues
- Performing all technical development for assigned applications including architecture, design, developing prototypes, writing new code and API's and performing unit and assembly testing of developed software also as needed
- Hand-on architecture working closely with technical architects and architecture governance technical team for solution development and design reviews
- Supporting integration and performance tests and providing demo of results to technical and product partners
- Performing peer code reviews, making deliberate short and long term design decisions and keeping constant focus on clearing technical debt items in the backlog
- Enabling the deployment, support, and monitoring of software across test, integration, and production environments
- Develops deep understanding of tie-ins with other systems and platforms within the core and associated domains
- Typically spends 30-50% of time writing code and testing, and remainder of time managing team and stakeholders through ongoing product/platform release sprints
- Works closely with product owners on blueprints and annual planning of feature sets that impact multiple platforms and products
- Manages and mentors teams of junior and senior engineers through ongoing sprints
- Communicating to stakeholders and business partners on the solution and the implementation aspects at the technical and/or functional level appropriate for the situation
- Identifying opportunities for adopting new technologies
- Influence team members with creative changes and improvements by demonstrating risk taking
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
- 6+ years of software development experience
- 3+ years of development experience with Java (minimum Java 7)
- Demonstrated experience in Agile development, application design, software development, and testing
- Strong technical capability with an intense desire to learn new skills and industry trends
- Collaborative work ethics to thrive on peer support and taking pride in of products and capabilities delivered as a team
- Ability to balance priorities and break down complex problems to manageable chunks that can be delivered incrementally
- Hands-on experience with Spring Boot, Micro-services, Relational and/or NoSQL databases.
- Knowledge in In-memory computing is preferable
- Demonstrated experience with object-oriented design and coding with variety of languages and proven ability to understand and use complex data structures and associated components
- Deep understanding of multithreading concepts with experience of developing robust and scalable distributed server side applications and algorithms
- Must be willing and able to express new ideas, concerns and opinions directly to wider team including tech and business partners in team meetings in person or video/tele conferencing.
- Experience with Event Driven and Reactive Programming is a plus
- Desirable to have experience of writing applications for deployment on cloud environment including OpenShift and Docker containers
- Desirable to have experience with performance and monitoring tools e.g. Splunk and App Dynamics
- Experience developing solutions for complex business problems in Payments and/or Financial systems would be an advantage.
- Analytical skills and knack of looking for non-obvious solutions
- Should have worked on RESTful API design and implementation.
- Implementation or working experience of Continuous Integration and Continues Delivery using tools and automation capabilities such as JUnit, Mocking, TestNG, Jenkins, Git, Stash and Jira
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Science Engineering, or related field;
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Feb 23, 2021, 8:19:45 PM