American Express’ Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) is responsible for the end-to-end suspicious activity reporting process, which entails monitoring for, investigating, and, when appropriate, reporting suspicious activity. As part of this process, the FIU relies on Global Financial Crime Compliance partners to develop and implement automated transaction monitoring rules, reports, and other processes designed to identify activity potentially indicative of criminal behavior. The FIU then investigates the potentially suspicious financial activity, and, when appropriate, files suspicious activity reports (SARs) with the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN), part of the U.S. Department of the Treasury, and/or refers matters to EMEA compliance partners (Market Compliance Officers - MCOs) for review and reporting. In addition, the FIU manages risk associated with politically exposed persons and persons and entities on core sanctions and risk lists through regular screening, and manages risk associated with improper payments that could be indicative of bribery, corruption, or other illicit activity by reviewing internal American Express payments and expenditures. The FIU performs a critical role in ensuring that American Express complies with all applicable local and international laws and regulations, including the Bank Secrecy Act, the USA PATRIOT Act, and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, and provides law enforcement with key information for the investigation and prosecution of money laundering and terrorist financing, credit card fraud, identity theft, and other criminal activity.
The successful candidate will work in our new hub in Madrid (Spain) to mitigate risk to the American Express enterprise through research and analysis of financial activity for suspicious patterns along with the review of records. Candidates must be flexible and willing to change responsibilities to meet business needs, should be comfortable reading and reviewing records from non-U.S. jurisdictions, and be able to work with various teams across American Express, including international Market Compliance Officers, line of business representatives, and project teams, among others.
- To develop and maintain an adequate knowledge of the EMEA financial crime environment
- Conduct time-sensitive, meticulous reviews of financial activity across multiple jurisdictions and countries, using a wide variety of research and analytical tools
- Producing well-written reports detailing and analyzing potentially suspicious activity
- Perform quality assurance reviews and provide feedback, as appropriate
- Collaborate with lines of business and building relationships with strategic partners across the unit to ensure effective coordination of significant matters
- Assisting with additional projects to aid various GFCC and non-U.S. teams
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations..
- Bachelors/University degree or equivalent experience
- At least 4 years of work experience with a minimum of 2 years as AML Compliance Analyst in a financial services institution or payment institution in any of the following areas is highly preferred: Anti-Money Laundering compliance, Suspicious Activity Reporting, financial crime, KYC or enhanced due diligence, or law enforcement
- Knowledge of EMEA AML legislation and EMEA specific financial crime, sector and geopolitical issues
- Keen attention to detail in research, analysis, and documentation
- Proven ability to analyze large amounts of data in order to report critical information
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Effective communication and excellent writing skills
- Demonstrated ability to handle new and varied work streams depending on business needs
- A strong candidate will also be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously; be an enthusiastic self-starter; and deadline-driven team player
- High level of professionalism, flexibility, self-motivation, and sense of urgency
- Fluent in English (spoken and written) as well as other European language
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jan 27, 2021, 11:05:48 AM