You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible — and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.
The US Consumer Operational Excellence team is the First Line of Defense (FLoD) team with a mission to enable business growth and objectives while maintaining a strong control environment. The Operational Excellence team acts as a Center of Excellence (CoE) within the business, and assists in the identification, measurement, monitoring, and management of Operational Risks related to the business products and processes. Operational risk is the risk to the current or projected business objectives and resilience arising from inadequate or failed internal processes or systems, human errors or misconduct, or adverse external events.
This team’s scope includes US Proprietary, Cobrand and Lending products, Benefit Programs (MR and non-MR), GABM (Global Advertising and Brand Management), TLS (Travel and Lifestyle Services), Consumer Marketing Services (CMS) and Corporate Development (Consumer Acquisitions, Divestitures, Strategic Investments)
Also, for these areas of the business, the Operational Excellence team leads governance and implementation of requirements related to several large-scale programs like Third Party, Customer Communication/Disclosures, Regulatory Exams, Information Security, Privacy, Financial Reporting, Physical Security, Data Management and Business Continuity/Resiliency.
In line with Amex’s “three lines of defense” approach to risk management, the FLoD Operational Excellence team actively works with Second Line of Defense (GRBC, Compliance, Privacy) and Third Line of Defense (Internal Audit) teams to ensure adequate implementation of risk management framework requirements.
The Manager Operational Excellence – Risk Analytics and Testing Automation is a high-impact role that will support the expansion of an automated control testing program.
The role will understand critical business processes, conduct data analysis, and will develop Key Risk Indicators (KRIs) for automated, near real-time risk monitoring as part of the Smart Monitoring capability.
To achieve program outcomes, the role will also collaborate extensively with GRBC colleagues, as well as others from various teams to drive key deliverables e.g. Technology, Product Management, and Compliance.
Key activities for the role will include:
- Partner with Operational Excellence colleagues and process owners in the Consumer organization to understand testing automation needs.
- Design key risk indicators (KRIs) for assessing business processes as part of the Smart Monitoring capability.
- Write KRI code (logic) by leveraging appropriate data after understanding detailed specifications of business processes, reviewing output of back-testing, and correcting and refining the logic to ensure that KRIs are working properly.
- Mine new data sources to design KRIs which can point out a potential gap in Amex systems using machine learning techniques like text mining, KNN, etc.
- Apply innovative concepts to measure and manage risk consistent with regulatory and governance requirements.
- Support business partners in researching and providing guidance on identifying “true” issues versus false positives, and closing alerts generated by KRIs.
- Identify and escalate to senior leadership observations, high residual-risk areas and emerging risk themes.
- Partner with Risk, Technology, Product Management, Compliance and other key Subject Matter Experts on initiatives to ensure standards/deliverables are achieved.
- Exemplify strength in the American Express Leadership Model: set the agenda, bring others with you and do it the right way, and put enterprise thinking first.
- 4+ year of experience with data-driven analytics
- Preferred experience in financial services and risk management
- Preferred Postgraduate degree in Statistics/Mathematics/Economics/Engineering/Management
- Knowledge of risk management and key credit risk metrics
- Should be a person with strong analytical thinking and skills who can undertake below steps independently
- Identify problems / opportunities at hand
- Gather information on process flow, data, system, and related losses / events
- Develop hypothesis to opportunities / problems identified
- Use data analytics to prove your hypothesis, identify root cause (if applicable) and size the opportunities / problems (if applicable)
- Draw conclusion based on analysis conducted
- Be able to solve business problems in complex and unstructured environment
- Highly detail oriented
- Team player with strong communication skills, and ability to develop relationships with colleagues.
- Self-motivated with the ability to operate independently and handle multiple workstreams and ad-hoc tasks simultaneously.
- Experience compiling information and developing thoughtful material for presentation.
Technical Skills and Platform Knowledge:
- Expertise in SQL and / or SAS
- Knowledge in IDN / Cornerstone is plus
- Application of statistical techniques preferred
- Machine learning techniques (Python, R, text mining-KNN) preferred
- Knowledge of platforms Hadoop and Big Data – Cornerstone preferred
- Preferred experience with COSMOS/Tableau
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: May 10, 2021, 3:14:38 PM