“You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible - and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.”
One Amex is a suite of products that started the trend towards “Amex in a box”. One Data is a functions as a service platform for our internal cloud platform within One Amex. We are seeking to onboard a Senior Engineer the One Data platform.
With One Data, you’ll have the ability to build technology products that shape the way that developers across American Express build micro services. We had an immense growth in terms of the number of onboarded functions in 2020 and except that growth to continue/accelerate.
We build and provide developer support for the product. We follow an everyone on support model (https://signalvnoise.com/posts/3676-everyone-on-support. Our customers are developers, SREs. We do have a production support SRE team but it’s all hands on deck to support American Express Card Members when the SRE team needs support.
We are a distributed team with team mates in almost every US time zone and in the UK. We expect to overlap at least one of these time zones. We are at the fore front of driving change in terms of technology and culture across American Express.
Who you are:
- Are excited about technology, stays up to date with and brings in new technology – understands/participates in CNCF workgroups, developer mailing lists. In short, Be curious
- Love dealing with fast pace, changing needs, & limited resources. Action bias.
- Love freedom to execute and not expect every task to be defined ahead of time.
- Have an Open source first model for building. Contribute, give back. Strive for excellence.
- Understand and are excited 20% projects. You aim for moonshots but can get ground to deliver projects.
- Coach, mentor other devs. You improve the team. You participate in American Express Technology Guilds to network with other developers.
- Are maniacal about Developer Experience.
- Disagree respectfully but commit. Bring people along. Articulate and drive change (6 pagers)
- You are a manager of one - https://signalvnoise.com/posts/1430-hire-managers-of-one
- System design and scaling (CAP, Distributed Caches, Read/Write Replicas, Consistent Hashing, CQRS, CRDTs). Ability to break down complex/high level ideas into concrete design and provide proofs of concept.
- JDK 11+, Java/Kotlin (Kotlin Preferred), Concurrency, Vert.X, TDD, Gradle plugin development, on CPU and heapdump analysis experience. You are as excited about project loom, Shenandoah, JFR (Java Flight Recorder) as we are
- cloud Native tools like Kubernetes, Envoy, Etcd, PromQL, Alert Manager, jsonnet, SMI and how to use them. More importantly, when to not use them.
- Jenkins pipeline, job DSL or equivalent continuous integration/delivery pipelines.
- different Git workflows, Semantic versioning & conventional commits and why they are important for team collaboration.
- observability, micro-services architectural patterns like Saga, Database per service pattern, Circuit breaker.
- Binutils, grep, sed, awk, perf, Linux fundamentals.
- The 4 pillars of documentation. You can use C4, PlantUML, draw.io, one of (markdown, asciidoc, rst), ADR (Architecture Decision Records) to express your ideas.
How will the interviews happen:
There will be three interviews
- Coding interview where you will
- fork a repository we have built, modify it to make a rest service call and return a json response
- remote connect to it via your favorite IDE (VS Code has attach capability) and debug a problem
- write unit tests
- Take a heapdump and analyze it in Visual VM
- Commit, push and issue pull request for the code
- System Design interview – go through the (https://github.com/donnemartin/system-design-primer) as a reference
- Culture fit interview
How you would ramp up:
Within 30 days, you’ll:
- Learn One Data's technical stack and apply our development patterns through your work
- Contribute and support work in a new or existing product and share your work with the team
Within 60 days, you’ll:
- Reliably ship new projects to support our platform
- Develop a big picture perspective and understand how our tools and frameworks come together. You’ll feel comfortable contributing to various codebases
- Work as the primary developer on a project - regularly communicating progress to stakeholders to ensure the quality and timeliness of work and work with other developers on the team to distribute the workload
Within 90 days, you'll:
- Be involved in planning and scoping large initiatives for the platform.
- Work closely with Product Management to drive new product and features.
- Form strong opinions about our existing systems architecture. You’ll be able to provide input that shapes these areas
- Mentor junior engineers to strive for engineering excellence
- Be comfortable with performing developer support
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
- A github/bitcket project demonstrated open source contributions or your personal pet projects in a JVM language or golang
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Mar 9, 2021, 9:23:10 PM