You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible — and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.
Global Risk and Compliance (GRC) is responsible to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of control and compliance at American Express; to successfully identify, monitor and manage risks. This group acts as the “Second Line of Defense” in AXP Risk Management Program. Within this function, the Credit & Operational Risk Oversight (CORO) team’s objective is to improve risk management, strengthen controls and enable profitable growth within the risk appetite of Amex; by providing effective challenge to the first line teams.
We are seeking Risk professionals who want to be a part of the evolution for the next generation of risk management and capabilities. The incumbent will apply their expertise in the field of data analytics to identify credit & operational risk and derive actionable insights. The successful candidate will work with a diverse set of internal and external data as well as structured and unstructured data. The scope of the role includes conducting independent risk assessments, providing effective challenge to first line teams, and ensuring that significant risks are promptly identified. Candidates are expected to have a deep appreciation for risk management techniques and an affinity for data and analytics.
The team would help the incumbent grow in following ways:
- Understand key principles of risk management and apply innovative concepts to measure and manage risk across AXP consistent with regulatory requirements.
- Have opportunity to work with various risk and business teams across American Express.
- Exposure to multiple products, strategies as well as business processes across American Express.
- Timely detection and evaluation of significant credit & operational risk trends at aggregate as well as various micro segment level.
- Conduct independent risk assessments analytically as well as through case reviews, across various processes and the overall portfolio to identify potential emerging risks and performance issues.
- Define and develop comprehensive key risk indicators to support comprehensive monitoring across risk types.
- Analyze and draw insights from both structured and unstructured data using advanced tools and techniques.
- Utilize a diverse set of technologies and tools (e.g. R, SAS, Python, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Tableau) to derive risk-related insights across many processes (e.g. Acquisition, Customer Servicing, Fraud, Information Security) and risk types (operational and credit).
Critical Factors to Success (Outcome Driven):
- Understand key credit and operational risk metrics to interpret trends in the context of business.
- Generate hypothesis on credit and operational risk drivers to flag risk trends early.
- Work on unstructured problems & apply innovative concepts to proactively identify & manage risks.
- 1-2 years of Management Consulting /Risk Management experience with data-driven analytics.
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Math, Economics, Statistics, Engineering or similar field of study or equivalent work experience is required.
- Risk Management experience with data-driven analytics
- Results-driven individual who likes challenging work.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative environment.
- Attention to details with ability to see the forest for the trees.
- Effective communicator capable of explaining complex problems and ideas clearly and succinctly to senior leaders.
Technical Skills & Knowledge of Platforms
- Extensive experience with tools such as Python, Hadoop, R, SAS, SQL, Hive.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Feb 23, 2021, 3:46:43 AM