“You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible - and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.”
As a new addition to the American Express family, our team is working to develop additional ways to become an essential part of Card Members' digital lives by enabling travelers to discover, book, and access airport lounges worldwide. You will have the freedom, ownership, and speed of a startup with the backing, support, and resources of American Express.
We are growing our engineering team and are specifically looking for a teammate that can act as a peer to our existing engineering leads. You are someone experienced and extremely knowledgeable with system design as this is absolutely critical for success. You’ll be working on the LoungeBuddy API - powering our website, mobile application, and business facing products by working to migrate the backend services into a more robust microservice architecture. You have real experience working at a high-scale startup and have been heavily involved in system-level architectural discussions.
We come from all around the world, spanning multiple continents. The LoungeBuddy team is made up of very unique and fascinating people. We are a small but mighty team that are passionate about working collaboratively, travel, and of course airport lounges. Our pillars are Trust & Respect, Collaboration, Learning & Growth, Ownership, and Empathy. Since our acquisition, we have kept our existing team but have gained the resources and backing of American Express to build the world's best travel experiences!
Discover more about us here: https://www.loungebuddy.com/about/team
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
What are we currently working on internally?
- Defining a reproducible, scalable microservice development practice
- Implementing best practices for how to design system architecture to handle enterprise level traffic
- Improving the reliability & performance across all our services
- Improving our deployment process to move more effectively
- Gaining better insight into errors and performance issues
- Some of our recent initiatives include the use of ElasticSearch to improve our data API’s responsiveness (hopefully extended to our booking API soon), and Kafka to improve data flow across services
- Our stack: Node.js, MongoDB, Postgres, Redis, Kafka, and Elasticsearch
- 50%~60% of the time spent on coding and/or hands-on technical implementation
- Work with Engineering Directors to define solution requirements and technical implementation approach
- Drive both high-level and detailed technical architecture and conduct engineering and code reviews as needed
- Provide technical mentorship to other software engineers at all levels
- Implement new, highly scalable platform components
- Improve and maintain existing components of the core platform
- Actively participate in team architecture and engineering discussions and forums
- Employ technical expertise to help team members overcome technical problems
- Work with Product Managers to set and maintain release/project schedule
- Analyze, design, program, debug, and modify software for use in local, networked, cloud-based or Internet-related environments
- Responsible for health and quality of the code across the portfolio, including leadership over test coverage, package updates, and CI/CD tool integration
- Hands-on coding experience in Node.js and experience building and maintaining services at high traffic/scale as well as experience designing high-level system architecture
- Expertise in building fault-tolerant, scalable solutions that are performed at a global enterprise scale
- Ability to construct enterprise-grade APIs using state-of-the-art techniques and best practices (REST, JSON, XML, etc.)
- Takes an interest in the bigger picture, and how their current work fits into the team’s larger goals
- Proficient in cross-platform integration
- Able to diagnose, resolve, and prevent the recurrence of system outage
- Can communicate complex software concepts to people with a wide range of technical knowledge
- Advanced engineering skill with wide-ranging experience; able to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways
- Thrive on teams with a congenial and collaborative approach to working through technical problems
- Enjoys iterative, user-driven development that prioritizes user feedback
- Committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for colleagues of all backgrounds
- Enjoys contributing to the development of his or her peers by providing mentorship and support
- 8+ years of active engineering experience in a complex environment and/or comparable experience
- Successful engineering and deployment of enterprise-grade technology assets in an Agile product environment
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Apr 6, 2021, 9:08:19 AM