You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible - and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.
The GIDX (Global Infrastructure Developer Experience) team is responsible for setting the strategic direction for What Winning Looks Like with respect to the developer experience (DX) journeys for infrastructure products and services. Our core remit is to ensure that delivery teams within Global Infrastructure (GI) have the capabilities and directional guidance necessary to provide the development community with a unified, outcome-driven, and developer-centric procurement model for infrastructure components. We have strong alignment with the Developer Experience strategy team under Enterprise Architecture (EA), and aim to be a reflection of their approach and strategy for DX within the GI division.
Common tasks in this team include, but are not limited to, defining the metrics, measures and service publication standards to which all delivery teams in Global Infrastructure are expected to adhere, facilitating the evaluation of new approaches to infrastructure modernization, and the socialization of best practices for automation, self-servicing, and multi-component orchestration. Members of this team are expected to demonstrate a broad understanding and/or awareness of open-source development practices, frameworks, and technologies as the products we represent span a large domain.
- Deliver key feature-set(s) in our Cloud product portfolio – end-to-end – that either improve upon the developer experience (DX), reduce the mean time to production (MTTP), or both.
- Function as an active member of an Agile team by contributing to software builds through consistent, modern development behaviors (tools, common components, code reviews, documentation, etc.).
- Work closely with product managers, customers, and platform/application engineers to implement solutions to challenging problems.
- Influence team members through the socialization of innovative approaches, by challenging the status quo, and by demonstrating responsible risk-taking.
- Daily tasks include issue discovery, requirements gathering, customer alignment and relationship building, iterative triaging of the solution with engineering team leads and stakeholders, core feature development, production-ready product delivery, consumer validation, and a quantification of the business value unlocked by introducing incremental features.
- Potential in-scope projects:
- Enterprise Support for BYOI (bring-your-own-image) for Docker/K8s
- CRD (custom resource definition) development for multi-component orchestration
- Piloting of vendor products that facilitate broader observability across stacks
- Creation of new tooling to import vendor packaging formats into Amex environment
- Development and Adoption Support for a new “Infrastructure Microservice SDK”
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
- Communications-oriented mindset, and a genuine willingness to spend as much time on careful and thoughtful planning as on “execution” (i.e. coding time).
- Familiarity with Agile best practices and team ceremonies (scrum, sprint, groomings, etc.).
- Exposure to infrastructure automation/orchestration facilities such as Ansible, Chef, Terraform, OSB/CRDs, Python, basic shell scripting, and the like.
- Familiarity with the principles of RESTful interfaces, cloud native application patterns/tools, and microservice architectures.
- Working knowledge of cloud configuration and container lifecycle management products: Kubernetes, Mesos, Istio, Docker, etc.
- Working knowledge of PaaS product offerings in large-scale enterprise environments that have a blend of older (legacy) technologies and nextgen practices, with a focus on building extensions and customizations on products such as AWS, GCP, Azure, etc.
- Hands-on experience building/using/extending frameworks and generic capabilities of API services, preferably of PaaS products, for wide enterprise use. Examples include SOA interceptors, logging frameworks, authN libs, caching APIs, message broker adaptors, etc.
- Exposure to modern aggregation and analytics tools such as Splunk, Graylog, Prometheus, etc.
- Experience with 3GL/4GL coding languages such as Go and Java.
- Solid competency with GIT semantics and SCM best-practices, including peer review.
- Expertise in networking and/or network security with a working knowledge of common protocols -- routing protocols, IP segmentation, foundational TCP/UDP concepts, etc.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Apr 7, 2021, 12:41:22 AM