You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible — and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.
As a part of our tech team, we could work together to bring ground-breaking and diverse ideas to life that power the digital systems, services, products and platforms that millions of customers around the world depend on. If you love to work with APIs, contribute to open source, or use the latest technologies, we’ll support you with an open environment and learning culture to grow your career.
American Express is leading the way in advanced technologies to enable exemplary customer experience, powered by big data and enterprise grade platforms. We are looking for a highly technical and motivated engineering leader to drive best in class solutions architecture, elevate the skills and effectiveness of our engineering teams, and drive innovation across the portfolio. Working with some of the best engineers in their fields, you will collaborate across multiple teams to architect and design leading edge technology solutions to modernize platforms and adopt new, transformational technologies.
If you have the talent and desire to deliver innovative products and services at a rapid pace, with deep hands-on experience and strategic thinking in areas of real-time, highly available and highly scalable application development, then join our team to help transform our Enterprise Marketing platforms to the state-of-the-art distributed and cloud native.
The Enterprise Marketing Technology organization leads the technology strategy and delivery across multiple business units within American Express, spanning our Consumer, Small Business, Commercial & Merchant businesses. Our organization runs the platforms for campaign execution, targeting, segmentation, eligibility, data and analytics.
We are looking for a dynamic, entrepreneurial Staff Engineer to lead this fast-evolving ecosystem. The ideal candidate is required to be highly organized, action-oriented, and accomplished in the development and deployment of complex software solutions. This person should have a pragmatic, results-oriented approach to application architecture and is excited to work on a varied tech stack. The candidate is required to have a futuristic mindset, questioning the status quo, and be able to technologically advance our platforms.
In this role, the person will be expected to acquire a deep technical understanding of our functional platforms, and will plan, manage, and execute a tech advancement roadmap.
Provides deep technical knowledge and solution delivery at a platform level
Director level individual contributor who may lead a small team of Senior Software Engineers
How will you make an impact in this role?
- 50%-60% of your time spent on coding or hands-on solution design and implementation.
- Actively participate in team and enterprise-wide architecture and engineering discussions, and work with Enterprise Architects to define marketing strategy, solution requirements and decide technical implementation approaches.
- Communicate solutions, approaches, and architectural decisions to senior leaders, gaining consensus and support from other teams.
- Support engineers and Directors in rapid development and deployment.
- Introduce architectural paradigms and solutions into the portfolio.
- Drive both high-level and detailed technical designs and conduct technical design reviews.
- Perform rapid POCs to experiment and set direction and help build rails for the engineering teams.
- Responsible for the health and quality of code across the department, including leadership of testing automation and CI/CD tool integration.
- Mentor and support senior engineers to continue to raise the engineering bar across the organization.
- Ensure appropriate utilization of technology experts to drive synergy and technology re-use to deliver global innovative solutions.
- Contribute to and promote good software engineering practices across the team.
Range of Impact/Influence:
- This person will be supporting a Technical Platform or its significant application components.
- Works on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors
Education & Experience:
- 15+ years of strong, hands-on experience in deploying global enterprise-grade technology solutions in an Agile environment.
- Strong hands-on experience in Java, Python, and frameworks (Spring, Vert.x, etc.) is a must.
- Experience in Big Data environments (Spark, Hive, Hadoop) is a must.
- Hands-on experience in the some of the following technologies: gRPC, ProtoBuf, JSON, NoSQL (Couchbase, Cassandra), Redis, Consul, Jenkins, OpenShift, Elastic Stack, OpenStack, Kafka.
- Experience developing, debugging, and designing microservice architectures with cloud provider agnostic technologies, such as Kubernetes and Docker.
- Hands-on experience building highly scalable, large transaction volume cutting edge systems.
- Extensive experience in designing and implementing large scale infrastructure on-premise or on the cloud (GCP/AWS).
- Good understanding of architectural design patterns & best practices.
- Understanding of basics of Machine Learning and algorithms is a plus.
- Proven experience debugging and resolving issues with system components, like network and storage.
- Strong communications, presentation skills, leadership, problem solving, and analytical skills.
- Proven collaboration and influencing skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Science Engineering, or related field required; advanced degree preferred.
High Performance Behaviors:
- Ability to share engineering domain expertise with architects and other specialists
- Ability to adapt solutions to meet the broader needs of the portfolio
- Develop and deliver impactful new technologies
- Hands-on coding experience in the platform’s primary technology stack (relevant frameworks, languages, OS libraries, etc.)
- Expertise in building fault-tolerant, scalable solutions that are performed at a global enterprise scale
- Full understanding of Service Oriented Architecture design principles and implementation patterns
- Ability to construct enterprise-grade APIs using state-of-the-art techniques and best practices (REST, JSON, XML, etc.)
- Proficient in cross-platform integration
- Able to diagnose, resolve, and prevent the recurrence of system outage
- Channel-specific technical skills as required by the platform, such as web, mobile, voice or interactive media
- Advanced engineering skill with wide-ranging experience; able to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways
- SDLC Methodologies and Practices
- System/Platform Domain Knowledge
- Programming Languages and Frameworks
Technology Skills You'll Use Every Day:
- Adaptive Communication
- Agile Practices
- Industry and Company Knowledge
- Organizational Change
- Technical Acuity
- Technology Industry Trends
- Collaboration & Partnership
- Continuous Improvement
- Servant Leadership
Strengths You’ll Need:
- Emerging Technologies
- Porting/Software Configuration
- Programming Languages and Framework
- Programming/Software Development
- SDLC Methodologies Practices
- Solutions Architecture
- System/Platform Domain Knowledge
- System Design
- Systems Integration
- Business Analysis
- Requirements Gathering and Definition
- Analytical Thinking
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Influence and Negotiation
- Business Product Knowledge
- Problem Solving
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Mar 22, 2021, 7:26:46 PM