You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible - and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.
We are building a banking platform that enables teams to create products at scale and powers digital channels to deliver compelling experiences in a dramatically faster fashion. As the Director, you will be responsible for building this cutting-edge technology framework that facilitates developer productivity without compromising on quality at enterprise scale.
We look first and foremost for people who are passionate around solving business problems through innovation and engineering practices. You’ll be required to apply your depth of knowledge and expertise to all aspects of the software development lifecycle, as well as partner continuously with your many stakeholders on a daily basis to stay focused on common goals. We embrace a culture of experimentation and constantly strive for improvement and learning. We welcome diverse perspectives and people who are not afraid to challenge assumptions.
Our mission is to accelerate the pace of financial innovation and build new financial products for American Express. Our platform streamlines the process of launching and iterating on financial products.
- Collaborate with product, design, compliance, and business stakeholders to create unique, best in class banking experiences.
- Build, mentor, and grow a team of talented engineers who are empathetic to both our customers as well as to their internal stakeholders while being aggressive in always doing the right thing.
- Act as a technical resource for engineers, designers, and product managers.
- Leverage expertise in internal systems and internet scale solutions to help others solve problems and deliver top notch experiences.
- Build a culture of accountability, respect and excellence Own all the quality aspects and metrics for banking products, including system performance, platform availability, operational efficiency, information security, data management.
- Actively leads long-range strategy planning to address complex business issues.
- Push to constantly be shipping working, secure, well-tested code to production.
- Must have minimum of 6+ years technical leadership role leading engineering teams.
- 10+ years of relevant technical experience in backend software development roles
- Demonstrated experience of designing and building developing large scale, low latency, high resiliency solution primarily using backend technologies in a fast paced, complex dynamic environment.
- Must have demonstrated proficiency and experience in the following tools and technologies:
- Java 8+ (Lambdas, Streams, Completable Future, optional, generics)
- Spring boot (Webflux , Reactor 3), Spring-data, REST
- Java functional and reactive programming
- Test Driven Development
- Asynchronous Reactive Micro services utilizing Vert.x
- REST APIs using Spring Boot 2.0 (reactive) and skilled in Open API (swagger) specification
- Designing database schemas, index design, optimizations for query tuning
- Working knowledge of cloud technologies (eg. Docker, Kubernetes, Jaeger, Prometheus)
- Modern software engineering tools: git workflows, gradle, load testing tools, mock frameworks
- Proven track record of instilling culture of technical excellence, engineering best practices, and strive for execution efficiencies.
- Strategic thinker with analytical and problem-solving skills
- Technical fluency - ability to clearly describe tradeoffs to technical and non- technical audiences alike to help support product decisions.
- Highly organized with strong prioritization skills and outstanding written and verbal communication - you are great at research and documenting your learnings.
- The ability to set a high bar for your team and empower them to achieve great results
- A “driver” personality - constantly pushing toward clarity and delivery while balancing the need for great collaboration and reusability where possible
- Solid foundation in design, data structures and algorithms, and strong analytical and debugging skills with customer-facing products experience.
- A bachelor's degree in Engineering or related field
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Apr 16, 2021, 8:23:43 PM