You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible — and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.
American Express is seeking a Director of Database Infrastructure Operations and Automation at its Bangalore (India) location. The Director will lead a team of both infrastructure Database Administrators and Engineers locally in Bangalore and partner with Database Infrastructure Operations team in the US to provide world-class service 24x7x365 to our customer base. American Express is aggressively adopting fit-for-purpose NoSQL and Relational cloud enabled database technologies such as Couchbase, Cassandra, Aerospike, Mongo, MemSQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MS SQL, while continuously researching other innovative solutions. We are growing our DB Infrastructure Operations capabilities with this new team in Bangalore to enhance our breadth and depth of knowledge while also enhancing our automation, self-service, and monitoring capabilities
- Build an elite team of DBAs and Automation Engineers in our new Bangalore office.
- Provide 24x7x365 database on-call support based on rotation within the team, including answering off-hour support pages with escalation guidelines at American Express.
- Partner with US based Operations team to ensure we have comprehensive 24x7x365 support model between the two organizations
- Be the point of escalation and lead the team during database outages, upgrades, installs, patching and replication and failover of database systems.
- Work with the various DB vendors to Perform Root Cause Analysis, determine and identify steps for future incidence avoidance.
- Install, maintain and support the various DBMS systems including patching, upgrades and break fix. Work with database vendors to resolve issues.
- Build and maintain the operating systems that the database run on, support patching, upgrades, application connectivity and work with the various DBMS vendors to align OS standards with the specific DBMS.
- Support database appliances including Exadata and ODAs.
- Install, patch and upgrade NoSQL and Relational database platforms preferably with Zero Downtime.
- Set up and troubleshoot replication of the databases, NOSQL and SQL based, for DR and non-DR environments to maintain the Business continuity readiness.
- Drive accuracy of inventory and billing and build automated reporting to effectively track infrastructure.
- Perform a regular capacity and performance analysis on database servers, publish the metrics and address the performance and capacity issues.
- Drive operational efficiencies by automating and improving existing repetitive and manual processes.
- Lead team in understanding changes in the industry and identifying standard methodologies that we can implement at American Express
- Ensure compliance with regulatory and security standards at American Express, industry standards and best practices.
- 5+ years of experience in leading Infrastructure or database production teams in a fast-paced environment
- Expertise in infrastructure OS management and significant knowledge in more than one database platforms.
- Solid grasp of Database host operating systems (Linux, MS Windows etc.), scripting language and tools.
- Experience working on Oracle appliances, Exadata and ODA, as well as virtualization platforms.
- Demonstrated excellence working with 3rd parties to create standard methodologies, resolve incidents and create strategy for future deployments.
- Demonstrated ability to drive self-service and automation using DevOps tools.
- Experience in provisioning and migrating databases in cloud preferred.
- Customer focus – work from “yes”
- Ability to communicate with Sr. Leadership in business terms and have highly technical discussions with engineers
- Excellent team building skills – lead with respect and compassion
- Biased toward partnering – look to work with peers to build the best possible outcomes
- Experience in systems monitoring and operationalization of Infrastructure platforms
- Ability to lead multiple initiatives simultaneously with minimal guidance and direction
- Willingness to challenge traditional thinking by engaging in constructive dialogue
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law. Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Apr 8, 2021, 8:26:25 AM