“You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible - and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day."
The Senior Engineering Manager is a technical and people-leadership role within the Accertify Software Development organization. The position involves both software development tasks and the management of a small group of software developers within a larger development team.
In the technical portion of the role, the Senior Engineering Manager will work on software development projects directly, as well as assist with and oversee a number of projects being built by their team. This person will participate in estimation efforts, requirement gathering sessions with the Product Team, and deployment planning meetings. For a handful of projects in each production release cycle, this person will have full ownership of the technical portion of the project. The position will be a hands-on, software development role.
In the people leader portion of the role, the Senior Engineering Manager will coordinate and facilitate regular (weekly) one-on-one discussions with their team, schedule regular team meetings and participate in goal-setting and year-end alignment discussions.
The person hired into this role will be provided with American Express people leader training to assist in their leadership growth.
The job requires a person to be based out of our Itasca, IL office though we are currently operating in a remotely due to COVID-19 restrictions.
- Manage a team of 3-5 software engineers to build and enhance Accertify’s world-class fraud fighting, digital identity and chargeback management tools
- Conduct weekly one-on-ones with all team members
- Oversee and coordinate peer code review and production release preparation activities for the larger software development team
- Work with the product management team and director of software development to estimate project work and help define and refine requirements
- Work directly with the QA team to help assign and resolve issues
- Participate in higher level support activities when the need arises
- Linux experience and competency
- Exposure to modern front-end technologies - CSS, less, Bootstrap, AngularJS
- BigData experience – MapR, Drill, etc.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
- 5+ years of experience as a Senior Developer
- Prior team leadership experience a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- Strong organizational / project management skills
- Experience in a high transaction volume environment
- Experience in platform support / troubleshooting
- Desire to learn people leadership skills and manage a small team
- Local to Itasca Accertify offices
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Mar 31, 2021, 10:26:03 AM