“You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back."
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible - and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.”
From building next-generation apps and microservices using modern programming languages and hybrid cloud environment to using AI to help protect our customers from fraud, you could be doing transformational work that brings our iconic, global brand into the future. As a part of our tech team, we could work together to bring ground-breaking and diverse ideas to life that power the digital systems, services, products and platforms that millions of customers around the world depend on. If you love to work with APIs, contribute to open source, or use the latest technologies, we’ll support you with an open environment and learning culture to grow your career.
Leads the design, development, troubleshooting, and debugging work efforts for customer facing applications, business applications, and/or internal end-user applications.
Member of a product engineering or delivery and integration team reporting to an Engineering Director or Director Product Delivery & Integration , you would be playing a key role in defining the technology strategy and contribute actively in development of core application platforms leveraging modern technology stack, you may have people leadership responsibilities.
How will you make an impact in this role?
- Perform technical aspects of software development for assigned applications including design, developing prototypes, and coding assignments
- Function as a leader on an agile team by contributing to software builds through consistent development practices (tools, common components, and documentation)
- Lead design/code reviews and automated testing
- Debug software components and identify code defects for remediation
- Leads the deployment, support, and monitoring of software across test, integration, and production environments.
- Empower teams to automate deployments in test or production environments
- Empower teams to automatically scale applications based on demand projections • 60% of the time spent on coding and/ or hands-on technical implementation
- Work with Enterprise Architecture, other Staff Engineers and Delivery teams to define solution requirements and technical implementation approach
- Drive both high-level and detailed technical designs and conduct design reviews as needed
- Take initiative to identify and Implement new, highly scalable foundational components and libraries - Improve and maintain existing components of the core platform
- Actively participate in team and company-wide architecture and engineering discussions and forums
- Employ technical expertise to help team members overcome technical problems
- Enforce to release/project schedule and sprint achievements
- - Analyze, design, program, debug, and modify software for use in local, networked, cloud-based or Internet-related environments
- Responsible for health and quality of the code across the portfolio, including leadership over SCM, functional testing, and CI/CD tool integration
- Takes accountability for the success of the team
- Drives the team’s direction and prioritizes initiatives
- Influence team members by challenging status quo, demonstrating risk taking, and implementing creative ideas
- Be a productivity multiplier for your team by analyzing your work flow and contributing to enable the team to be more effective, productive, and demonstrating faster and stronger results. - Mentor and guide the team to success
Range of Impact/Influence:
- Manages and mentors teams of junior and senior engineers through ongoing development efforts
- Ensures engineers to conform to team standards
- Accountable for accurate completion and quality of all documentation and work produced by engineering team - Accountable for delivering a quality product that meets the customers’ needs
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
7+ years of software development experience in a professional environment and/or comparable experience such as: - Wide breath of engineering experience.
- A minimum of 6 years of experience with Java or similar Object Oriented Programming Language in a professional environment required.
- Hands-on expertise with application design, software development, and automated testing required.
- Hands-on experience in development of highly scalable, high performance backend applications using a variety of technologies, with specific expertise in Enterprise Java (including advanced design pattern & common libraries) and cloud native technologies required.
- Experience in building enterprise-grade APIs using state-of-the-art techniques and best practices (GraphQL ,REST, JSON, XML, etc.) required.
- Experience with relational databases, including designing complex schemas and queries required.
- Experience developing within distributed systems or a microservice based architecture required.
- Experience with Cloud Native system design required.
- Familiarity with Containers and Container Orchestration tools such as Docker , Docker Swarm , Kubernetes required.
- Familiarity with Data Centric application design, Event Driven Systems, Kafka, Big Data ecosystem , Data pipelines, Stream processing systems etc. is required
- Strong verbal and written communication skills for documenting workflows, tools, or complex areas of a codebase.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and multi-task efficiently.
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Validated experience leading teams of engineers
- Experience using database systems like Couchbase, Cassandra, Redis etc. in a high performance and resilient configurations is a plus.
- Hands-on coding experience in One Amex suite of platforms and products, especially One App, One Data, One Stream etc. is a plus.
- Experience working with Public Clouds (AWS,GCP,Azure) is a plus.
- Technical and business knowledge in various servicing domains is a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, or related experience required; advanced degree preferred.
High Performance Behaviors:
- Owns the health and quality of the code across the portfolio
- nsure streamlined CI/CD pipeline from the teams
- Collaborates with leadership across multiple teams to define solution requirements and technical implementation - Demonstrate technical expertise to help team members overcome technical problems
- Solves technical problems outside of day-to-day responsibilities
- Contributes to the success of many teams achieving their goals
- Develop team’s strategy and prioritize initiatives
- Assist in retaining and hiring talented team members
- Able to communicate complex data structures and associated components
- Designs, codes, tests, maintains, and documents applications
- Lead reviews of colleagues' work
- Defines test conditions based on the requirements and specifications provided
- Has in depth understanding of the core tools used in the planning, analyzing, crafting, building, testing, configuring, and maintaining of assigned application(s)
- Deep understanding of infrastructure, technologies, and components
- Able to assess and interview team members to identify and develop talent
- Making impactful changes by influencing leadership and making timely decisions - Consistent track record to influence technological growth across teams
Technology Skills You'll Use Every Day:
- Adaptive Communication
- Agile Practices
- Industry and Company Knowledge
- Organizational Change
- Technical Acuity
- Technology Industry Trends
- Collaboration & Partnership - Continuous Improvement
- Servant Leadership
Role/Strengths You’ll Need:
- Emerging Technologies
- Programming/Software Development - Systems Design
- - Business Analysis
- - Data Management
- - Release and Deployment
- - Systems Development Management
- - User Experience Evaluation and Analysis
- Analytical Thinking
- Building High Performance Teams - Coaching and Mentoring
- Executive Presence
- Influence and Negotiation
- Business Product Knowledge
- Problem Solving
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Mar 19, 2021, 4:37:00 PM