You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible — and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.
From building next-generation apps and microservices in Kotlin to using AI to help protect our customers from fraud, you could be doing transformational work that brings our iconic, global brand into the future. As a part of our tech team, we could work together to bring ground-breaking and diverse ideas to life that power the digital systems, services, products and platforms that millions of customers around the world depend on. If you love to work with APIs, contribute to open source, or use the latest technologies, we’ll support you with an open environment and learning culture to grow your career.
Leads the design, development, troubleshooting, and debugging work efforts for customer facing applications, business applications, and/or internal end-user applications.
Member of a product engineering team including responsibilities for L1/L2 application and platform support, reporting to an Engineering Director.
How will you make an impact in this role?
- Perform technical aspects of software development for assigned applications including design, developing prototypes, and coding assignments.
- Function as a leader on an agile team by contributing to software builds through consistent development practices (tools, common components, and documentation).
- Lead code reviews and automated testing.
- Debug software components and identify code defects for remediation.
- Leads the deployment, support, and monitoring of software across test, integration, and production environments.
- Automate deployments in test or production environments.
- Automatically scale applications based on demand projections.
- Provide L1/L2 support for applications owned and managed by the team.
- Provide L1/L2 support for Financial Data Insights Platform.
- Rotating on-call support.
- Identify and implement opportunities for self-healing/automation capabilities.
- Ensure streamlined support operation is followed, contribute to support model improvements.
- Demonstrate increased self-reliance to achieve team goals.
- Influence team members with creative changes and improvements by challenging status quo and demonstrating risk taking.
- Be a productivity multiplier for your team by analyzing your workflow and contributing to enable the team to be more effective, productive, and demonstrating faster and stronger results.
- Mentor and guide junior team members to success within the team.
Range of Impact/Influence:
- Leads and mentors teams of engineers through ongoing development efforts.
- Ensures Engineers enforce both Enterprise & team standards.
- Ensures Engineering team delivers a quality product that meets the customers’ needs.
Education & Experience:
- 5+ years of software development experience in a professional environment and/or comparable experience such as:
- Wide breath of Engineering experience.
- Validated experience leading teams of Engineers.
- Hands-on expertise with application design, software development, and automated testing.
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems and databases.
- High Performance Behaviors:
- Finds opportunities to embrace innovative technologies to enable business capabilities.
- Keeps up to date on current research and technology in the industry.
- Empowers teams to dedicatedly scale applications based on demand projections.
- Takes accountability for the success of the team achieving their goals.
- Drives the team’s strategy and prioritizes initiatives.
- Mentor and guide all team members to success within the team.
- Hands-on experience with a variety of software languages, operating systems, or network protocols.
- Practical application using Agile or other rapid application development methods.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field required; Advanced Degree preferred.
- Able to communicate complex data structures and associated components.
- Designs, codes, tests, maintains, and documents applications.
- Lead reviews of colleagues' work.
- Test-driven development practices.
- Defines test conditions based on the requirements and specifications provided.
- Has deep understanding of the core tools used in the planning, analyzing, crafting, building, testing, configuring, and maintaining assigned application(s).
- Specific technical experience working with one or more of the following areas:
- Python (intermediate skill level required).
- Unix/Linux (RedHat, specifically) system administration, troubleshooting (intermediate skill level required).
- Shell scripting.
- Application/infrastructure monitoring tools.
- Deep understanding of infrastructure technologies and components, such as: Infrastructure and server theories, principles, and concepts, application Infrastructure and standards, networking fundamentals, storage management (i.e. SAN), orchestration technologies (Jenkins, etc), CI/CD concepts and workflows.
- Experienced knowledge using the core tools used in the planning, analyzing, designing, building, testing, configuring and maintaining of assigned application(s).
- Core knowledge of Agile delivery methodology.
- Demonstrated understanding of DevOps concepts and benefits.
- Application troubleshooting/support skills.
Technology Skills You'll Use Every Day:
- Adaptive Communication
- Agile Practices
- Industry and Company Knowledge
- Organizational Change
- Technical Acuity
- Technology Industry Trends
Role/Strengths You’ll Need:
- Programming/Software Development
- System/Platform Domain Knowledge
- Data Management
- Release & Deployment
- Capacity Planning
- User Experience Evaluation and Analysis
- Requirements Gathering and Definition
- Analytical Thinking
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Documentation & Technical Writing
- Problem Solving
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for this position.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: May 4, 2021, 5:21:52 PM