You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible — and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.
The Engineering Director leads a team of Database Engineers and Data Architects within the Next Generation Data Management team, responsible for architecting innovative technical solutions and building scalable database architectures and aligned infrastructures in support of new business growth initiatives while maintaining critical compliance regulations. The Director is responsible for the modernization of database engineering capabilities to include NoSQL and Big Data technologies across enterprise. As part of modernization this role will enable self-service for developers, by developing the tooling to automate the database processes.
The Director is engaged and influences Amex Customers that are redefining their technology and business capabilities for critical enterprise company platforms / products. The Director leverages and innovates on emerging database technologies and design patterns to accelerate business growth while reducing the overall time to market. The NGDM organization co-locates with the Software Engineering Teams providing turn-key scalable data, data architecture, and database engineering solutions. American Express is also improving the developer experience where they can perform self-service using the automation tooling which the Director will be developing.
The successful candidate will bring solid skills of software engineering and database technology trends that will enable increased usage of open source and modern database technologies. This person will train and lead a team of Database Engineers and Data Architects to ensure delivery of data solutions that meet business needs and requirements. The candidate will provide technical direction to resources, while actively participating in database, domain, and API design sessions while influencing standard methodologies across the Unit CIO / Application teams. This position will also provide leadership to cross-functional teams while serving as the primary point of contact from inception to delivery for database needs. The candidate must have experience with CI/CD, DevOps, and Automation while the database components are rapidly being transformed to be deployed similar to application code. The Engineering Director must play a critical role in defining the technical capabilities and have an ability to market and influence the strategy to enterprise consumers.
Other key aspects of the Engineering Director role are as follows:
- Leads the design and development, quality and economics of database delivery within Next Generation Data Management team within Amex.
- Provides direction for technical and business resources that actively participate in database selection and implementation
- Leads the development of database automation tools that provides better developer experience through developer self-service.
- Cultivate and drive innovation and experimentation, delivering software and database solutions that meet or exceed customer and stakeholder expectations, often helping shape business requirements in a manner that optimally leverages technology teams
- Deliver database products that provides superior user experiences, linking customer needs and business drivers together through innovative product engineering
- Cultivate an environment of engineering excellence and continuous improvement, leading changes that drive efficiencies into existing engineering and delivery processes
- Work with application partners to assimilate new DB technology into scalable software solutions, leveraging and contributing to engineering best practices across the company
- Possess a strong technical background and able to learn & apply new technologies quickly and efficiently
- Drives the optimization of data footprint and rationalization of applications
- Influence the product and technology roadmap with strategic database vendors, ensuring Amex requirements are included in the upcoming releases
- Attract, retain and grow top data architecture and database engineering talent across the organization, providing guidance, career development and mentorship to team members
- Agile - with an ability to manage data stories across multiple agile software product development teams (including scaled agile framework) to promote company’s technology vision and strategy in a scalable, iterative environment
- Relationship building - crafting and maintaining positive relationships and partnerships with our customers (Leadership, Architects, Engineers, TPMs, Scrum Teams) across the enterprise
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field
- Shown experience with database technologies in: Relational Database Technologies (Oracle / Postgres / DB2 / SQL Server), NoSQL Technologies (Couchbase / Cassandra / MapR ), Data Replication Technologies (Goldengate / Kafka / IIDR) and CI/CD - DevOps - Automation Technologies (Jenkins / Bitbucket / Liquibase / Datical / Ansible / Elk / Docker)
- Hands-on database implementation, data architecture and systems design experience for large applications (prefer experience with banking and/or financial applications)
- Passion for learning new technologies
- People and Technical leadership experience with shown Stakeholder management skills
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law. Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Apr 1, 2021, 6:43:17 AM