Corporate Segment Controllership provides end to end accounting and advisory support to technology ($1.5B of developed software assets), real estate ($1.1B of real estate leases), servicing, compensation & benefits and advertising & brand management. The broader team also provides subject matter expertise in accounting for and reporting of the Company’s stock-based compensation and retirement plans, litigation reserves, and restructuring initiatives.
The Corporate Segment Controllership organization is looking for a proactive, energetic, intelligent and dedicated individual that can integrate well into a high performing and dynamic team. This position provides business advisory, reporting and accounting guidance to the Technology organization. The successful candidate will be a primary point of contact for the Technologies Development business partners and LFO teams. The Technology Development teams are responsible for approximately $1.5 Billion in annual software development expenses.
Key responsibilities include:
- Providing account guidance and managing the end to end accounting for $1.5Bn in annual Software development Investment across American Express.
- Analyzing and leading the accounting for the impairment of decommissioned software assets.
- Providing financial reporting and operational accounting guidance on contractual financial terms during deal negotiations in accordance with US GAAP and American Express accounting policies.
- Understanding GAAP changes relevant to the technology business and driving process changes to ensure compliance.
- Reviewing end to end technology accounting processes and implementing and adopting new technology and processes where appropriate.
- Continuing to drive transformation of the Software Capitalization process for American Express, including the advancement of adopting Artificial Intelligence based capitalization decisioning.
- Develop financial control oversight processes, proactively identify process efficiencies, and monitor compliance with internal management policies.
- Supporting internal and external auditors with audit and quarterly review requirements.
- Monitoring risk and creating controls over the Technology Accounting process as the Process Risk Self Assessment (PRSA) delegate.
- Product ownership of the development of the Software Capitalization Reporting Tool.
- Participating in internal Tech forums, developing training materials and collaborating with EPMO teams to monitor any Tech process changes that may impact the accounting process.
- Motivating and developing a team of 3-5 colleagues.
- A minimum of 8+ years of accounting and finance experience
- Understanding of the Agile development methodology is a plus
- Excellent business acumen, ability to think both in terms of business strategy and technical compliance
- Demonstrated problem solving/analytical skills and prior experience in a fast paced, results-driven organization
- Solid understanding of financial statement relationships between balance sheet and income statements
- Strong systems aptitude
- Strong financial control focus, requiring ability to proactively understand and identify risks from an end-to-end perspective
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong relationship and collaboration skills
- A proven strong leader who is adaptable and a team player with the ability to achieve results through empowering others
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously while adhering to time sensitive deadlines
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: May 3, 2021, 9:29:44 AM