At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible - and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.
In this role, you will join the Developer Platform team within the Developer Experience. You will partner with your small team to learn the business cases our engineers must account for, and partner with teams across the enterprise, educating and helping when possible, and assisting by building tools where the expertise may not already exist at an appropriate level somewhere in the company. You will also work to shepherd teams of engineers to technical solutions that enable developer productivity and retention and reduce disparity as much as possible with the larger technology industry. As part of this process, you will also gain experience with what it looks like to help guide multiple business units toward a common goal.
On any given day, you might:
- Writing code and unit tests, working with API specs and automation
- Build a new tool or framework to improve our developer platforms
- Help build and vet concrete approaches to organization-wide requirements
- Participate in cross-team meetings, contributing ideas and voting on options when appropriate
- Take a class or read a book to learn something new
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering or a related field, or equivalent experience
- Experience working on a software engineering team and contributing expertise in areas of your subject matter expertise
- Familiarity with DevOps theory and practice, including concepts such as continuous deployment, 12-factor app, and infrastructure-as-code
- Experience using and building version controlled (in-repository) CI/CD pipelines on modern tools: Jenkins, GitHub Actions, CircleCI, GitLab, etc.
- Experience working as a technical lead or SME on a team, training and guiding engineers and helping facilitate data-driven decision making.
- Experience driving consistent modern practices via effective code reviews
If you don’t feel like you meet all of the criteria but have a demonstrated ability to learn quickly and apply your knowledge you are encouraged to apply.
Bonus points for experience with:
- Directly using and building GitHub Actions
- Information Security (AuthN/Z, IAM), especially in a banking environment
- Kubernetes, especially with an understanding of how it works
- Deploying and operating traditional VM or mainframe workloads
- Modern distributed software observability
- Community involvement (open source or other open contributions)
- Working in a distributed team model and collaborating with remote team members
Also critical to your success:
- Appetite for trying new things
- Staying up to date on technology trends and developer sentiments
- Able to influence without authority and work together with peers and more-senior leadership roles
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Apr 5, 2021, 3:11:13 PM