Don’t Just Build Tech. Change Tech,
Innovation is at the heart of everything we do. Every day, our technologists enable our customers around the globe to achieve their goals. They design and deliver American Express infrastructure and applications across all markets and business units. To meet these demands, we’re looking for problem solvers who can drive results through precise analysis and programming methodologies, individuals with a strong intellectual curiosity and a passion for innovation, and team players who can convert their ideas into execution.
Global Infrastructure & Digital Workplace Technology – Mainframe Systems is responsible for enterprise technology infrastructure including mainframe, enterprise utilities, security infrastructure, database operations, and 3rd party hosting.
The Infrastructure Engineer will assist with the engineering and design of critical American Express mainframe applications and infrastructure in conjunction with troubleshooting, tuning and debugging of applications and databases utilizing the mainframe platform. The Infrastructure Engineer will report directly to the Global Infrastructure & Digital Workplace Technology – Mainframe Systems Director of Architecture and Engineering, the Director of Mainframe Infrastructure Operations, or the Director of Mainframe Application Services.
- Assist with engineering of large/complex projects with a variety of components and integration points
- Actively modernize platforms and applications using current agile practices (dev/ops)
- Interact with business and vendor partners to better understand their objectives, technical landscape and/or how to identify and solve complex problems/issues
- Interact with Infrastructure and Application Engineers and Architects to exploit modern mainframe technologies such as Java, Encryption, Sysplex, Hybrid Cloud, High Availability, Active/Active and mainframe networking
- Partner with Engineers to define solution requirements, perform coding and/or hands-on technical implementation
- Assist with infrastructure performance and security assessments
- Assist with internal analysis and support to ensure proper escalation during outages or periods of degraded system performance
- Participate in brainstorming and discovery exercises to determine new technologies based on research, proof of concept efforts and independent investigation
- Ensure engineering is consistent with enterprise engineering standards, guidelines and principles
- Participate in team architecture and engineering discussions and forums
- Employ technical expertise to help team members overcome technical problems during production outages and solution delivery
- Ensure compliance with technical, architectural, regulatory, and strategic standards, policies, and procedures
- Must earn a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field between December 2021 and June 2022
- Knowledge or willingness to learn modern mainframe technologies on z-platforms such as Java, Encryption, Sysplex, Hybrid Cloud, High Availability, Active/Active and Mainframe Networking
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to adapt a message to the appropriate audience
- Strong strategic thinking, problem solving, data analysis, and decision-making skills
- Experience with design and implementation strategies of mainframe and distributed applications
- Must have attended National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) Conference in 2021
Life at American Express
American Express is known for backing our customers to help them achieve their goals and dreams, both big and small. At American Express, we’re changing the way people live and work through meaningful projects with real-world impact. When you join our team you can make a difference by improving the everyday lives of customers around the world.
Growing great leaders is one of the things that sets American Express apart. Every employee has the opportunity—and is encouraged—to take their personal leadership to the next level through a wide variety of leadership and learning programs.
Creating an inclusive culture is both a part of who we are and what we do together. We value and embrace the diversity of thought, backgrounds and experiences of all our employees. Through our 15 Colleague Networks, participants can broaden their associations with other employees while expanding their knowledge of the business.
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them guidance and support.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Learn more about our opportunities at American Express by visiting https://careers.americanexpress.com.
Our team will review completed applications on a rolling basis. We appreciate your patience while we consider your application.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for this position.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law
Tags: USUndergrad, USTech
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Mar 19, 2021, 12:12:30 AM