You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible — and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.
Why American Express
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference. American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards. We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it!
American Express is an accommodating equal opportunity employer!
Infrastructure Engineer II – Global Infrastructure & Digital Workplace Technology – Mainframe Systems
Mainframe Systems is responsible for enterprise technology infrastructure including Mainframe, Middleware & Enterprise Utilities, Security Capabilities Operations, Database Operations and 3rd party hosting.
In this role you will assist with the engineering and implementation of critical American Express mainframe applications and infrastructure in conjunction with troubleshooting, tuning and debugging of system-level components within the mainframe platform. Other responsibilities may include the support of production IMS and DB2 Mainframe databases ensuring high availability with responsibility for capacity and performance management. You will report directly to the Director of Mainframe Operations.
- Assist with engineering of large/complex projects with a variety of components and integration points
- Collaborate with business and vendor partners to better understand their objectives, technical landscape and how to identify and resolve complex problems/issues
- Work with Infrastructure and Application Engineers/Architects to exploit modern mainframe technologies such as, Java, Encryption, Sysplex, Hybrid Cloud, High Availability, Active/Active and mainframe networking
- Partner with Engineers and Architects to define solution requirements and assist with technical implementation
- Assist team to prevent business impacts and disruptions based on database failures.
- Contribute to DBA team effort in automating manual processes.
- Assist with infrastructure performance and security assessments
- Assist with internal analysis and support to ensure proper resolution and/or escalation path during outages or periods of degraded system performance
- Participate in brainstorming and discovery exercises that lead to new technologies based on research, proof of concept efforts and independent investigation
- Provide technical expertise to help team members overcome technical problems during production outages and solution delivery
- Ensure compliance with technical, architectural, regulatory, and strategic standards, policies, and procedures
- Actively modernizes platforms and applications using current agile practices (dev/ops)
- 3+years engineering experience in a complex mainframe environment in the Financial Services industry
- Experience with design and implementation of mainframe infrastructure systems
- Experience with mainframe infrastructure, z-platform and z/OS technologies hardware and operating systems, application development and control of mainframe architecture, middleware and tooling
- Knowledge and experience with modern mainframe technologies (Java, Encryption, Sysplex, Hybrid Cloud, High Availability, Active/Active and Mainframe Networking) and its relevance to the American Express environment
- Experience with in-depth problem solving, analytical analysis, reporting and the ability to articulate and present to leaders and key partners
- Basic experience and knowledge of database design.
- Drives to learn and have hands-on management and influence of production database availability and capacity.
- Ability to manage, influence and drive vendor direction to deliver innovated solutions that are helpful to the team and American Express
- Demonstrates personal integrity, builds trust and capable of collaborating across the organization
- Motivates and inspire team members to work together and get results
- Excellent written/verbal skills and able to adapt a message to the appropriate audience
- Strong critical thinking and decision-making skills to deliver results
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science or Computer Science Engineering, or related field is preferred
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Apr 29, 2021, 6:21:13 AM