The Global Commercial Services (GCS) – U.S. Large Market and Global Client Group (U.S. LM & GCG) manages American Express’ largest and strategically important commercial clients – driving differentiated value and providing solutions that meet the diverse and global needs of the company’s most valuable customers. The organization is on a journey to transform and reimagine how to best position AXP in the commercial space, to ensure mutual success for our customers and American Express through COVID recovery and beyond.
The newly formed U.S. Industry Verticals team is a client management organization with B2B specialization focused on profitably accelerating B2B penetration. The role offers a unique and exciting opportunity to be at the forefront of this strategic transformation and establishing this new Client Management team.
This Director will oversee a team of 3-4 Client Managers and will have general management responsibility and ownership of the strategy and execution of initiatives pertaining to the portfolio. The successful candidate must have an entrepreneurial drive, a winning track record of uncovering and implementing new business opportunities, delivering differentiated and customer-first solutions, B2B payments expertise and experience in leading and empowering an ambitious, empowered, and engaged team culture.
- Hire, build, and develop a team of ambitious, empowered, engaged and client focused B2B payment experts
- Set overall portfolio growth and retention strategies within high B2B penetration and/or high growth opportunity industries by leveraging in-depth industry knowledge and client needs; Thoughtfully and quickly adapt plans and priorities when needed to achieve the desired outcome.
- Build and safeguard strong client relationships to drive NPS and sustainable volume; Identify gaps in senior client relationships and implement strategies to bridge them.
- Lead development of client renewal and expansions proposals; negotiate deal constructs and oversee implementation of solutions; Innovatively overcome complex client barriers; quickly and thoughtfully resolve escalated issues.
- Build and cultivate collaborative relationships to implement customized and strategic account plans and expand supplier network and spend growth; Key partners include various divisions of American Express including by not limited to GCS, GMNS, B2B Enablement, Analytics, Pricing, Finance, Legal and Marketing.
- Minimum of 5 years’ prior strategic relationship management and/or business development experience.
- Demonstrated leadership through trust, transparency, and collaboration to build highly engaged team; Ability to organize virtual teams and influence/manage change
- Knowledge of B2B, key trends, and payment processes
- Strong results orientation and strategic thought leadership
- Ability to gain in-depth understanding of client needs to inform and execute client-focused plans with limited support and guidance
- Proven relationship management and negotiation skills; experience in successfully establishing C-level relationships and within cross-functional areas within large companies
- Strong partnership and effective oral and written communication skills to influence internal and external partners to improve products and client servicing
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Role requires ~30% travel (outside of COVID)
- This position is open to candidates residing in Central US - TN, ND, SD, MN, WI, IL, MI, OH, NC, SC
- Visa Sponsorship: Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for this position.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Apr 1, 2021, 2:42:12 PM