Our Global Merchant and Network Services (GMNS) business builds and maintains relationships with merchants, merchant acquirers and processors, processes card transactions and settles with merchants that choose to accept our cards for purchases. We sign merchants to accept our cards and provide marketing information and other programs and services to merchants, leveraging the capabilities provided by our closed-loop network. Through our direct and inbound channels, we contract with merchants, agree on the discount rate (a fee charged to the merchant for accepting our cards) and handle servicing. We also work with third parties to acquire small- and medium-sized merchants (example: OptBlue merchant-acquiring program).
The National Client Group within GMNS – U.S., is responsible for overseeing the largest and most strategic U.S. – based merchants. Our mission is to be warmly welcomed by merchants and support the growth of our partnerships. B2B is a priority for the GMS business and American Express; this role offers a prime opportunity to be part of a strategic growth industry at American Express.
This role will focus on a portfolio of 40 strategic accounts (United Rentals, Sunbelt Rentals, Ingersoll Rand, and Airgas) with $5 Billion in Business Volume. The Industrial industry is one of the top 3 priority B2B segments, with high levels of interaction and engagement with the Card Product Group and the Global Corporate Payments Group.
The Senior Client Manager will have general management responsibility and ownership of the strategy and execution of initiatives involving the managed portfolio. The successful candidate must demonstrate strong relationship management, consultative selling, strategic thought leadership and execution skills to drive incremental revenue growth. Individual must be a motivated, self-starter, comfortable with identifying and driving new business opportunities, as expansion within these accounts is a priority. The incumbent will focus on establishing, maintaining, and growing long-lasting merchant relationships and to identify new business and enhance merchant satisfaction.
- Business Development: drive profitable charge volume and revenue growth by leveraging knowledge of merchant’s business and industry.
- Negotiation Analysis: develop innovative partnerships and negotiate profitable deal constructs and card acceptance agreements.
- Strategy Development: understand merchant and industry dynamics to develop a strategy to drive business impact.
- P&L Management: optimize client profitability and develop various pricing proposals and strategic growth plans.
- Relationship Management: cultivate and leverage relationships across American Express and the Merchant to identify and implement solutions to grow and expand share.
- Extensive experience in relationship management and business development with a proven ability to generate new opportunities and lead all components of the sell in process at senior levels, such as: frame and develop the business case, establish and advance partnership constructs and lead and manage all aspects of the negotiation process.
- Outstanding analytical and creative problem-solving skills; proven financial acumen.
- Strong executive presence with ability to lead and influence C-level discussions.
- Ability to work collaboratively across a wide variety of external and internal partners.
- Strong negotiation and project management skills, with an excellent ability to prioritize effectively and drive results.
- Outstanding client-facing presentation skills, both oral and written.
- Energetic and enthusiastic team player, with a strong will to win.
- Knowledge of Construction Industry, B2B payments landscape and/or experience in B2B Issuing organizations a plus.
- Familiarity with financial statements: Income Statement, Balance Sheet and Cash Flows Statement.
- Solid foundation in Microsoft Office: PowerPoint and Excel.
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA a plus.
- New York City candidates preferred.
- Role requires ~30% travel.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Apr 1, 2021, 1:31:25 PM