American Express’ Internal Audit Group (IAG) has reinvented our audit process and is leading the financial services industry with our Audit NextGen, Data-Driven Continuous Auditing, and Auditor of the Future initiatives. Each uniquely support our Winning Aspiration to be a world class internal audit function that:
- Provides data-driven and technology-enabled assurance
- Delivers timely risk insights that are business-aware and forward-looking
- Supports our colleagues with experiences that prepare them to be enterprise leaders
Collectively, IAG’s strategic initiatives, combined with our greatest asset – our people – enable IAG to utilize advanced data analysis capabilities, provide greater and continuous assurance, and help ensure quality products and services are provided to American Express customers.
IAG’s innovative Data-Driven Continuous Auditing approach has led to patent-pending technology assets over our uniquely developed audit methodology and technology enablers.
We are looking for those who share our mission and aspirations and are passionate about the use of data and technology in a collaborative, people-focused environment.
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Where are these roles located within American Express?
You could be recruited for a role to serve as a key member in our Internal Audit Group. We seek data and technology literate risk & assurance professionals to deliver impactful audit conclusions and insight.
IAG is a worldwide function with 200+ team members and offices across nine countries within American Express. We are committed to growing our audit staff significantly as we continue to expand and enhance the Internal Audit Group. Our assurance and risk professionals have diverse backgrounds including internal controls, consumer compliance, technology, operational risk, financial accounting, data analytics, and banking operations. Most IAG team members hold at least one professional certification. Our audit teams align to key risk areas and business units to ensure IAG can provide comprehensive and risk-based audit coverage. In addition, IAG has a Professional Practices group responsible for managing audit operations, quality, and standards; regulatory relations; reporting; training and professional development; and key internal capabilities and technologies.
- Participate as a key team member on audit projects responsible for assisting with annual planning and owning core audit tasks, more complex areas and challenging workloads on successive assignments
- Collaborate with audit teams to understand the data behind key processes, risk and controls to develop analytic control tests and analyze and interpret their results
- Proficient use of automated work papers, analytics and other department and company tools
- Ensure effective and efficient execution of audits in conformance with professional and department standards, budgets, and timelines
- Present audit objectives, scope, and results to senior management, clearly articulating the potential impact of control gaps in a highly professional and proficient manner
- Evaluate results, synthesize audit findings across the project, draft audit reports, and ensure effective and efficient audit execution
- Validate that actions taken by management to address findings are appropriate and document the results
- Maintain audit proficiency through ongoing professional development including data literacy skills
- Proactively lead audit execution including supervise and mentor junior staff, review their workpapers, and escalate issues
- Monitor a portfolio of audit analytics, assess analytic results, use the analytic data to tell the potential business story, and work with audit and business colleagues to validate that story
- Assist team leaders, senior auditors and staff auditors in accomplishing team objectives and producing results
- Lead multiple simultaneous audit projects of all sizes and complexity across multiple business areas within and outside of local region, in unfamiliar areas, and for different audit leaders
- Lead integrated audits that consider financial, operational, compliance, and technology risks
- Effectively coach, teach, mentor and develop junior colleagues and co-sourced resources in geographically diverse locations across all aspects of their role, the audit and analytic lifecycle, and audit methodology
- 7+ years of relevant experience
- Financial services industry experience and an understanding of related products, services, features, economics and key regulations
- Understanding of regulatory, accounting, and financial industry best practices relevant to the business, including technology and data implications
- Experience with technology control testing including interface inputs, reports, application security, business continuity and third parties
- BA, BS, or equivalent degree in accounting or finance related field; background in information systems, data analytics or information technology would be a plus
- Experience with data analytic tools, data visualization, key risk indicators (KRIs), key performance indicators (KPIs), and scorecards / dashboards
- Aptitude for working with data, interpreting results, business intelligence and analytic best practices
- Ability to break-down a complex problem into components, solve them using data analysis, process knowledge and risk/control knowledge, and communicate data analysis, issues and control recommendations with transparency and integrity
- Strong written and verbal communication skills that deliver quality, actionable and beneficial feedback to management on potential control issues and solutions to close gaps
- Knowledge and experience in the application of control theory and professional auditing practices including the audit lifecycle
- Ability to effectively integrate business, operational, technological, data, and financial components in audit work
- Effectively works independently, within a team and across teams in a fast-paced environment to drive business results, utilizing related project management skills, employing creative thinking, and the ability to work on competing priorities
- Proven ability to lead and manage multiple projects and provide developmental feedback across deliverables
- Ability to travel 5% to 15%
Ongoing Workplace Flexibility: Position will currently be work-from-home due to COVID-19. American Express is committed to the well-being of its colleagues and to creating a safe work environment; colleagues will continue to work remotely until a return to the office can be safely accomplished.
Location(s): New York, NY, Phoenix AZ, Salt Lake City, UT.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Apr 14, 2021, 5:47:38 PM