You’ll do more than the expected. You’ll do the unexpected
We are looking for a highly skilled and enthusiastic senior Java/Kotlin engineer who is able to excel in the detail of creating code and also define and communicate the bigger picture, who can guide and inspire other team members, to help us build a global platform that will form a backbone of American Express’s regulatory compliance landscape. We are building our platform as a set of microservices communicating via a mixture of synchronous APIs and asynchronous messaging, as well as an Angular/NodeJS user interface. This approach allows us to grow and evolve our technology stack and take advantage of innovative solutions. We are looking for someone who is excited by the potential for innovation, who can put together proofs of concept, and evaluate and discuss whether they should be adopted, who can look at complex requirements and design robust solutions. We work on a mixture of greenfield development and integration with existing enterprise solutions.
Joining the UK-based Know Your Customer (KYC), Anti Money Laundering (AML) and Regulatory Reporting Technologies team, this role will be focused on driving the design and development of innovative solutions to satisfy the needs of our business – as an agile team we work closely with our business partners to understand what they require, and we strive to continuously improve as a team - we all have a role in accelerating our delivery of high quality reliable and resilient code, and that means taking control of our complete delivery pipeline.
This is an opportunity to work in a diverse team within a diverse organisation. You will be part of team that has highly skilled technical people covering every level of experience and a real variety of backgrounds. You will help determine what technologies are used – we embrace innovation both in our day to day work and through events such as hackathons and internal tech conferences.
The senior engineer will be part of the KYC team but will have opportunities to work across the portfolio. The role will include, but is not limited to:
- Greenfield development using a micro-service, cloud based containerised architecture.
- Designing solutions that align with our technical strategy and communicating those solutions to a range of target audiences.
- Getting involved in business, technical and architectural discussions across Amex teams and third parties – representing the technical implications and arguments as they relate to the enterprise.
- Mentoring and guiding developers – helping to drive improvements to quality and cleanliness of code and having direct overview of the technical output of one or more scrum teams.
- Identifying opportunities to streamline the integration and deployment pipeline and increase the ability of the team to be in control.
- Keeping up to date with opportunities and threats in the wider software engineering world, recognising when these may impact KYC and helping determine how to react.
- Understanding the capabilities and usage of other systems, also recognising and tactfully communicating and issues and limitations in systems owned by others.
- Troubleshooting problems and identifying ways to avoid or simplify troubleshooting through improvements to monitoring, alerting and self-correcting code.
- Taking full part in agile activities and working with a strong agile mindset of continuous improvement.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Ability to create clean, high quality well tested code in one or more languages, and ability to guide more junior engineers in adopting best practices.
- Ability to design, document and communicate technical solutions, ability to clearly describe, discuss and evaluate trade-offs, compromises and the relationship between business requirements and implementation.
- Experience and strong understanding of Java (8+) and the Spring framework, and ideally knowledge of other JVM languages such as Kotlin and Groovy. Proven ability to evaluate and adopt new ideas, languages and frameworks.
- Experience and understanding of associated systems and supporting frameworks – version control, build automation, containers and container orchestration, as well as familiarity with *nix based operating systems.
- Experience and strong understanding of relational databases, ideally Oracle, as well as ORM frameworks. Experience and strong understanding of messaging concepts, ideally with experience of Apache Kafka, experience of API use and design, understanding of big data, ideally Hadoop and associated technologies.
- Solid understanding of data security, and an appreciation of application security vulnerabilities and how they may be mitigated.
- Degree level education.
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
Amex have been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: May 12, 2021, 5:27:22 AM