You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible - and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.
This role is part of the Operational Risk Governance Group (ORGG) within the second-line risk management function ultimately reporting the to the company’s Chief Risk Officer. ORGG’s mission is to drive a comprehensive and complete operational risk program at American Express. Through a collaborative partnership with individual operational risk pillar oversight groups, ORGG establishes operational risk policy, governance and roles and responsibilities through the design, implementation, and ongoing management of the Company’s Operational Risk Framework.
The overall objective of Operational Risk Management is to identify and assess operational risk exposures across different processes and operations of American Express and its subsidiaries, to detect critical areas or groups of operations with an increased risk level, and to identify risks and effective mitigation strategies.
As part of the Operational Risk Issue Management team, primary responsibilities for the Manager- Operational Risk Issue Management role include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Establish and maintain standards and procedures to support the deployment of operational risk event management and remediation.
- Oversee the first line execution of the Risk Event program consistent with prescribed standards and policies.
- Identify opportunities to optimize and improve risk event standards and procedures
- Support design and implementation of system enhancements and maintenance (e.g. user stories, user acceptance testing).
- Measure and report on 1st Line performance on critical operational risk metrics (control ratings).
- Oversee preparation of multiple regulatory reports of both detailed and summarized operational risk data.
- Maintain and own data infrastructure necessary for regulatory reporting of operational risk data (e.g. CCAR).
- Support strategic initiatives that will strengthen the operational risk framework and the control environment.
- Support escalations and committee reporting of significant operational risk events.
- Evaluate and drive improvements in program processes, timelines, output, and structure
The successful candidate will work collaboratively with colleagues across risk disciplines and departments and be able to drive consensus and results. They will be able to work independently as well as lead multiple projects simultaneously and to thrive in an environment with many ad-hoc activities. The candidate will be able to oversee and challenge 1st Line performance and work collaboratively to mitigate risk exposures and meet company objectives and regulatory requirements. They will be able to orchestrate the on-time delivery of key program initiatives, projects, and deliverables, coordinating amongst stakeholders across first lines of defense.
- 3 – 5 years of experience in operational risk management, internal control within the Banking or financial services industries.
- Working knowledge of SAS, SQL, Tableau analytics preferred
- Detail oriented, with strong analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to drive results and accountability for Company-wide projects, programs, or deliverables
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to convey strategic insight and thought leadership in identifying emerging operational risk issues.
- Strong presentation skills, particularly in the development of compelling and insightful materials.
- Strong writing ability and the ability to translate complex regulatory expectations into cohesive, structured policy and guidance documents.
- Strong relationship management skills and the ability to work effectively with colleagues across 2nd Line and 1st Line functions at all levels.
- Strong team player
- Risk focused and critical mindset, with the ability to identify potential process flaws and drive course correction
- Understanding of the control environment and principles of effective risk management
- Ability to drive results within given parameters, ensuring alignment with strategic perspectives and company goals
- Undergraduate degree in business, accounting, or similar field at a minimum; advanced degree preferred
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Apr 16, 2021, 1:51:32 PM