This position will be responsible for maintaining the effectiveness of regulatory compliance programs in Japan in line with Japan regulatory requirements and expectations, while concurrently executing the globally defined compliance program activities in Japan. As a critical component of the local regulatory compliance program, this position will develop up-to-date local compliance policies and procedures, prepare and conduct trainings to colleagues, perform 2nd line monitoring activities and provide compliance advisory, by incorporating the latest regulatory requirements in rapidly changing business & regulatory environment.
This position will partner with business groups and key stakeholders in ensuring the understanding of key regulatory requirements, including implication to business operations.
Success to this position is to possess an in-depth understanding of Japan regulatory requirements for credit card business, specifically in area of consumer protections & privacy area, together with the ability to assess adequacy of the Company-unique operational processes. Key to success of this role will be ability to manage multiple assigned tasks for execution by the required due dates, maintain a strong relationship with the business groups and SMEs / keys stakeholders within / outside Japan on local regulatory requirements, while having good understanding of key regulatory requirements & implication to business operations.
- Maintain up-to-date and accurate Japan Compliance program inventory (policies & procedures, training, monitoring and reporting) to validate compliance accountability.
- Develop and maintain up-to-date local compliance policies & procedures by effectively incorporating necessary local regulatory requirements against rapidly changing business products & underlying operations.
- Develop and deliver up-to-date regulatory compliance trainings to the required local employees, by effectively incorporating necessary local regulatory requirements against rapidly changing business products & underlying operations.
- Work with various Global Risk and Compliance team to execute compliance programs in Japan.
- Conduct daily monitoring & reviews of business processes and provide advisory to ensure compliance with pertinent regulatory requirements, including but not limited to : incidents and errors identified, marketing materials, personal information & data protection.
- Participate in business and compliance projects and initiatives as directed.
- Generate monthly and ad hoc reporting as needed to effectively conduct 2nd line monitoring, assess business performance by preparing and conducting review of key compliance & risk indicators, and document the identification of issues in a concise manner.
- Support the direct leader in evaluation of the pertinent regulatory requirements over credit card regulations, consumer protections and privacy area. Keep up-to-date with critical regulatory developments and evaluate necessary compliance actions as needed.
- Provide compliance advice to business partners in evaluation of effectiveness of compliance program within business groups, support implementation of necessary compliance actions, consultation & development of appropriate remediation actions as per the regulatory expectation.
- As needed, support facilitation of compliance projects and initiatives to fulfill regulatory requirements, under the direction of the direct leader.
Reports to : Manager, Enterprise Compliance Program - Japan Market Compliance
Language : Japanese & English fluency (verbal & written)
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
Knowledge and Skills
- Minimum 5 years of operations experiences for the Japan business, with hands-on application of regulatory compliance or legal requirements in Japan. Professional certifications or Diplomas in legal or compliance relevant area.
- Strong understanding of the Japan regulatory requirements for retail consumer financial services or credit card business.
- Excellent verbal & written communication in Japanese and English; ability to effectively understand and comprehend regulatory publications to be able to effectively develop regulatory policies & procedures, and conduct training over the pertinent regulatory requirements. Independently manage communications with the regulators, regulatory agencies and business partners. Experience in preparing formal regulatory submissions/ documents, or interacting with the regulators on compliance matters.
- Strong understanding of internal controls framework and hands-on experience in application to business operations. Ability to identify control defects and develop remediation by reviewing & evaluating existing business processes. Professional certifications in internal controls a plus. .
- Experience in working in a globally-complex matrix organization across diverse business groups and product lines.
- Experience in communication in English, proven ability to interact with key stakeholders and subject matter experts within and outside Japan in English.
- Experience in project management - new products implementation or business process changes. Ability to manage multiple assignments concurrently while maintaining due dates. Ability to manage multiple stakeholders, exercising leadership in influencing and pursuading to enable delivery of needed actions in a clear and convincing manner.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Apr 20, 2021, 3:11:59 AM