You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible - and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.
Come and join the great Commercial Services Technology team at an incredible time. Get ready to build state of the art api platforms on cloud that will allow American Express Commercial Services to achieve exponential growth. Get ready to build talented engineering teams and lead them to success. There is no better time to join this talented team and drive the most exciting technology transformation American Express have ever seen.
The Director of Engineering serves as a key leader on the Global Commercial Services team, you will help to build the team and drive it to success, you will be responsible to define the technology approach, you will face unique technological challenges, you will grow with the teams and with the business by being exposed to unique challenges and opportunities.
You must be a self-starter! Eager to learn new technologies on a daily basis, and partner with the business teams to ensure technology changes not impact customers in a positive way. If you are an engineer with a passion for building top performing engineering teams and you love building state of the art technology solutions, then this dynamic role is for you!
What would you achieve as Engineering Director?
Roles & Responsibilities
- Knowledge and experience modernizing large and complex technology solutions to cloud environments embracing cloud native application patterns.
- Lead a team of engineers in a way that inspires each team member to do their best work and continue to grow and develop within the company.
- Hire, mentor, and develop to maintain an employee-oriented culture that emphasizes quality, continuous improvement, retention of key employees, development, and high performance.
- Become a thought leader in both technical excellence and management excellence, balancing the needs of technology, business, customers, and employees.
- Contribute to the review, prioritize and define of business needs and user stories.
- Provide thought leadership around best practices and new/emerging concepts.
- Lead with “Automation and simplification mind-set” - Eliminate waste and repetitive manual process by mentoring the team to be obsessed about productivity.
- Handle relationships with key stake holders, including Product teams and other technology teams.
- Understand platform roadmap and contribute to the platform strategy initiatives.
- Significant experience in software engineering.
- Proven experience in a leadership capacity, you lead with your heart, your mind, with focus and empathy.
- Strong understanding of the Software Development practices, Agile/SCRUM, Pair Programming.
- Experience in working with large distributed teams in a highly dynamic environment.
- You hold yourself accountable.
- You make decisions with imperfect information.
- You solve complex problems with a highly analytical approach.
- You learn from mistakes and help your team to take risk and learn from their mistakes.
- You're excellent at understanding competing priorities.
- You can build trust with and inspire your team.
- Expert on cloud native Java or similar (Golang or .NET core knowledge is a plus)
- Expert on API platforms programs and design principles. Experience working on an API driven business is a plus. Understanding of developer experience, testing with sandboxes.
- Expert on applying DevOps and SRE on large engineering teams.
- Knowledge on public cloud platforms (AWS or Azure) is a plus.
- Knowledge on DevSecOps in the context of Financial Services is a plus.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: May 6, 2021, 1:07:42 PM