“You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible - and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.”
At American Express, we value quality customer experiences across the entire customer lifecycle. That includes creating user-friendly experiences, consistent designs enabling user predictability and ease of use, accessible designs for our customers and a curious spirit to ensure we’re constantly improving.
In order to set the standard in accessible, consistent and clear design, we are looking to bring a Principal Researcher into the User Experience and Design Team. This role is a net new role reporting into the Director of User Experience Research and Design.
This role will focus primarily on delivering high-quality research for UX product journeys and partnering closely with the Principal Design Manager to establish ongoing processes for delivering research for both our UI and UX practice areas. Additionally, this person will be responsible for working with the Director to establish a clear Accessibility practice; ensuring recruit diversity, creating tools and resources for research on Accessibility and Compliance/WCAG/ADA standards and educating our Product partners and Engineering partners on how to ensure Accessibility is represented in our Agile product Lifecycle. We have a robust Research practice in place and this role will be vital to ongoing optimization and delivery on the Research team’s strategy to be the customer advocate within all our journeys.
This is a role that will require a potent mix of can-do attitude, open communication, a collaborative spirit, ability to interface with colleagues in multiple departments and a proven background in enterprise/matrixed product research. You will partner with designers, other researchers, product owners and engineers.
Does the above sound like you?
This is a Principal Researcher is a role within a Product group. You will:
- Collaborate with Product Managers/Product Owners and Designers to determine their insight needs, make appropriate recommendations, and craft research plans that align with the product roadmap, educating on best practices as necessary.
- Stand up a Enterprise-level Accessibility in Research practice
- Co-support the Principal Design Manager with processes for research and Accessibility
- Manage user experience research and usability testing projects for consumer facing products during all phases of design and development, across multiple markets/countries alongside Director of Research and other researchers on the team
- Moderate and facilitate insights gathering for research studies
- Build quality screeners and own recruitment for studies
- 3rd party vendor, project and budget management: Working in a hybrid model, where research may be undertaken in partnership with a vendor or delivered entirely by a 3rd party, but managed by you.
- Synthesize learnings across projects, integrating with other functions like Analytics and New Accounts Servicing, and drive socialization of findings. Support the centralized insights repository – own insights delivery for research projects you are responsible for
- Contribute to continuous improvement of UXR practice and research techniques.
- Work within a matrix environment, building strong relationships with your partners across multiple business units, managing and escalating as appropriate to drive projects to a successful conclusion.
- Drive the development and maturity of new but growing team, helping build the foundations of the practice within the department, assisting colleagues as necessary.
- Educate and implement an Accessibility in Design program along with the Principal Design Manager
- Excellent communication, presentation, influencing and relationship-building skills; ability to find the balance between confidence and humility
- 5+ years of UX Research experience with consumer facing digital products, websites and mobile experiences- must have demonstrated consumer-facing product research experiences
- Demonstrated experience with ADA Compliance, Accessibility Research, and creating inclusive screeners and educating partners on ADA and Accessibility
- 4+ years of UX in general (design, information architecture, content strategy, etc.)
- Excellent consultation skills, with proven experience in identifying research needs, matching those needs to research methods, and aligning approach with overall product/business strategy.
- Senior-level conducting research using a range of qualitative and quantitative methods and related tools, e.g. usability testing, remote testing, and focus groups and ability to identify the best method to answer the research question
- Track record of delivering a regular, rapid program of work to support iterative product development, e.g. usability testing: moderation, screener and test plan creation, debriefing, facilitation, and presentation of results and recommendations – either directly, or in partnership with vendors preferred.
- Ability to synthesize multiple insights to arrive at recommendations that deliver customer-focused outcomes for the organization, and communicate them effectively to Product Owners and Designers.
- Can demonstrate experience adapting to change, and be able to hit the ground running, managing multiple projects to tight deadlines, according to demands on the team.
- Track record of mentoring/coaching more junior members of the team to upskill the team overall.
Your performance is measured by the impact of the products you launch and by your ability to collaborate with cross-functional team that includes Product, Engineering, Analytics, Business Development, and Operations.
- A team player and a collaborator
- Curious and a pursuer of the optimal
- Able to prioritize
- User-evangelist- putting the needs of our customers first
- A problem solver – able to work through challenges independently and bring the right people in at the right time
“Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.”
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Apr 29, 2021, 1:04:42 PM