The US Consumer Operational Excellence team is the First Line of Defense (FLoD) team with a mission to enable business growth and objectives while maintaining a strong control environment. The Operational Excellence team acts as a Center of Excellence (CoE) within the business, and assists in the identification, measurement, monitoring, and management of Operational Risks related to the business products and processes. Operational risk is the risk to the current or projected business objectives and resilience arising from inadequate or failed internal processes or systems, human errors or misconduct, or adverse external events.
This team’s scope includes US Proprietary, Cobrand and Lending products, Benefit Programs (MR and non-MR), GABM (Global Advertising and Brand Management), TLS (Travel and Lifestyle Services), Consumer Marketing Services (CMS) and Corporate Development (Consumer Acquisitions, Divestitures, Strategic Investments)
Also, for these areas of the business, the Operational Excellence team leads governance and implementation of requirements related to several large-scale programs like Third Party, Customer Communication/Disclosures, Regulatory Exams, Information Security, Privacy, Financial Reporting, Physical Security, Data Management and Business Continuity/Resiliency.
In line with Amex’s “three lines of defense” approach to risk management, the Operational Excellence team (First Line of Defense) actively works with Second Line of Defense (Global Risk, Compliance, Privacy) and Third Line of Defense (Internal Audit) teams to ensure adequate implementation of risk management framework requirements.
The Manager/Sr. Manager, Operational Excellence role will be responsible for promoting a strong risk management culture and provide tools, training and analytics to our 1st Line colleagues. This Manager/Sr. Manager will also support the Operational Excellence team and business partners by managing projects and processes critical to the operations of the team including, but not limited to, tracking risk framework performance, creating and maintaining scorecards, and developing ad hoc reporting for senior leadership.
Key activities of the role will include:
- Responsible for operational governance of key risk management requirements with a focus on Issue Management.
- Support business strategy and Inspire Risk Management culture to support overall regulatory and AENB requirements by creating and leading new training programs, road shows, new hire curriculum, reporting, analytics, etc.
- Partner with Compliance and Legal functions (GCO) to ensure products and processes comply with applicable laws, regulations, and policies, with effective controls and rigorous testing to prove compliance.
- Identify trends, themes, tendencies that indicate emerging operational risks by analyzing data and trends in relevant metrics, loss event data and external events. Effectively communicate learnings to business partners to drive necessary responses and action.
- Approach all processes with Continuous Improvement mentality and ensure the Consumer businesses are meeting expectations of the Control Rating.
- Demonstrated skills in analyzing and synthesizing data and presenting data in a simple, business-focused presentation format.
- Relationship management and a proven track record of positively collaborating and partnering with stakeholders
- Ability to take initiative and work within ambiguous situations. High degree of resourcefulness and the ability to learn quickly and work with minimal direction
- Must have broad knowledge and experience in all large operational risk management programs like Issue Management, PRSA, New Product Approval and Third-Party Risk and/or Compliance and Regulatory requirements
- Experience in leading Analytics, MIS/Reporting and/or training programs, preferably for a large area of the business
- Highly motivated self-starter with a positive attitude and an agile mindset - ability to shift priorities with a changing internal and external environment
- Adept at breaking down complex matters into core issues and root causes that can be more readily addressed.
- Outstanding PowerPoint and communication skills with the ability to inspire others
- Bachelors or master’s degree in business, MBA preferred.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Apr 26, 2021, 11:13:52 AM