You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible - and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.
The American Express Data Office is a global organization that sits within Enterprise Digital & Analytics (EDA), and is American Express’ data center of excellence. The data office’s objective is to realize the potential of our data assets to power the world’s best customer experience. The data office provides principles, policies, processes, architecture and governance to enable consistent, trusted and usable data to drive accurate data-driven business outcomes.
There are multiple forces shaping the data economy. The speed and scale by which data is being exchanged is accelerating and fueled by factors including, new market actors, advancements in technology, Open Banking, and changes in customer expectations. As such, American Express must continue to advance its overall data strategy to keep pace in the emerging data economy. This role is part of the Enterprise Data Ethics & Partnership team, which is tasked with driving strategic data sharing decisions with our partners, defining strategies and principles for data sharing, and identifying opportunities to enhance and protect Amex’ data assets.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
The Director of Enterprise Data Partnerships will be responsible for leading and advising on strategic “should we” data sharing decisions and partner deals, defining data sharing strategies, tools and guidance, and building the AXP Data Ethic Program. Additionally:
- Influence and partner across all lines of business’ on data-driven initiatives for key strategic partnerships, products, and services with a focus on leveraging our data as a strategic asset.
- Lead strategic and complex negotiations to completion, engaging cross-functional teams and ensuring alignment across teams on deal terms
- Evaluate strategic data sharing requests with a Framework to balance economic outcomes, value exchanges, and business impacts with the strategic deployment of AXP data.
- Partner with the Enterprise Data Governance team to incorporate the data sharing principles and policy into the Enterprise Data Governance policy and ensuring its adherence across the Enterprise.
- Educating key business partners on the principles and policies of strategic data sharing, and when to engage the team on high-risk sharing.
- Provide thought leadership around how new technologies (such as Machine Learning/AI and blockchain) fit into our data sharing strategy; animate working groups, and help "connecting the dots" across the enterprise to drive and accelerate new initiatives.
A successful candidate will have:
- A strong strategic approach with prior experience and knowledge of data sharing and best practices.
- Understanding of data sharing frameworks, and strategic value propositions with strong technical knowledge to be able to challenge the status quo.
- Strong external mindset and keeps abreast of regulatory and industry trends in data.
- Experience leading data functions within complex, global matrix environments
- Proven track record of driving results in a fast-paced environment often with significant ambiguity and needing to make decisions with less than perform information
- Effective partnering, influencing and collaboration skills across a matrixed organization.
- Experience working with senior leadership across all functions.
- High degree of organization, individual initiative and personal accountability and resiliency; and
- A track record of leading and encouraging teams through sophisticated initiatives.
- MDA or JD is a strong plus
- 7+ years of related work experience
- Previous consulting or strategy experience is preferred.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: May 3, 2021, 5:25:41 PM