You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible - and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.
The American Express Data Office is a global organization that sits within Enterprise Digital & Analytics (EDA), and is American Express’ data center of excellence. The data office’s objective is to realize the potential of our data assets to power the world’s best customer experience. The data office provides principles, policies, processes, architecture and governance to enable consistent, trusted and usable data to drive accurate data-driven business outcomes.
As the data economy and technology rapidly evolves, and AI/Machine Learning data-driven decisions become the standard, it is critical that organizations have a strong data ethics practice to ensure fairness, trust and responsibility around the holistic lifecycle of data. The Director, Data Ethics will report into the VP, Enterprise Data Ethics & Partnership team, which is tasked with creating a new Data Ethics program and governance across the enterprise.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Create & maintain Data Ethics Program to enable, govern and coordinate AXP’s approach to the ethical lifecycle of data.
- Support the Data Ethics Working Group, part of the AXP Enterprise Data Committee (e.g. set internal policies, principles, governance, AEMP 70 integration, sensitive use case approvals, review aggregate risks).
- Create Enterprise Data Ethics Principles and supporting collateral to operationalize the Principles.
- Creating training around Data Ethics to be part of AEMP70 training and other modeling training
A successful candidate will have:
- A strong strategic and operational approach with prior experience and knowledge in data ethics, privacy regulations and best practices.
- Familiarity with AI and Machine Learning and linkages with data ethics.
- Effective at building from the ground up and executing on frameworks.
- Strong understanding of data frameworks with technical knowledge to be able to challenge the status quo.
- Experience leading data functions within complex, global matrix environments
- Proven track record of driving results in a fast-paced environment often with significant ambiguity and needing to make decisions with less than perform information
- Effective partnering, influencing and collaboration skills across a matrixed organization.
- Experience working with senior leadership across all functions.
- High degree of organization, individual initiative and personal accountability and resiliency; and
- A track record of leading and encouraging teams through sophisticated initiatives.
- Strong external mindset and keeps abreast of regulatory and industry trends in data.
- 7+ years of related work experience
- Operational and program management experience is preferred.
- JD is a plus
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: May 3, 2021, 5:47:11 PM