You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible - and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.
The American Express Data Office is a global organization that sits within Enterprise Digital & Analytics (EDA), and is American Express’ data center of excellence. The data office’s objective is to realize the potential of our data assets to power the world’s best customer experience. The data office provides principles, policies, processes, architecture and governance to enable consistent, trusted and usable data to drive accurate data-driven business outcomes.
There are many forces shaping the data economy. The speed and scale by which data is being exchanged is accelerating and fueled by factors including, new market actors, Open Banking, changes in customer expectations. As such, it is critical that American Express be externally focused and influence and shape industry and regulatory developments in the data space.
The Director, Industry Forums and Regulation who will report into VP of Enterprise Data Ethics and Partnerships will be responsible for the following:
Key Role & Responsibilities
- Actively participate in standards bodies, forums, conferences, & industry events to share and shape our data strategy and ensure that AXP Data Office positions and strategies are well represented.
- Partner with Government and Regulatory Affairs to interface with policy makers and regulators regarding AXP’s strategic positions on data sharing and ethics (i.e. AI/ML, Privacy, Open Banking, Data Sharing, etc.)
- Ensure industry standards and regulatory requirements are reflected in AXP’s data strategies.
- Provide internal thought leadership on industry/regulatory trends and developments.
- Track industry/regulatory developments.
A successful candidate will have:
- Strong external mindset with a deep understanding and appreciation for regulatory and industry trends in data, such as Open Data.
- Strong strategic approach with prior experience and knowledge of the data economy and best practices.
- Effective communicator, both written and oral.
- Understanding and familiarity with data technology and capabilities.
- Proven track record of driving results in a fast-paced environment often with significant ambiguity and needing to make decisions with less than perform information
- Effective partnering, influencing and collaboration skills across a matrixed organization.
- Experience working with senior leadership across all functions.
- High degree of organization, individual initiative and personal accountability and resiliency; and
- A track record of leading and encouraging teams through sophisticated initiatives.
- 7+ years of related work experience
- Prior experience with involvement or leading standards bodies, trade associations, government affairs, lobbying, etc.
- JD preferred.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: May 3, 2021, 5:27:08 PM