American Express Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Senior Software Engineer - Java
- Part of a fast-paced engineering team that designs and deploys solutions using Java and standard web technologies and/or packaged commercial software.
- Getting involved with, and influencing, architectural and strategic decisions.
- Participate in evolving the product backlog through backlog grooming and sprint planning sessions.
- Identifying exciting opportunities for adopting new technologies to solve existing needs and predicting future challenges.
- Performing ongoing refactoring of code, utilising visualisation and other techniques to fast-track concepts, and delivering continuous improvement.
- Working with the team to write, groom and prioritise user stories for ongoing sprints and managing a list of technical requirements based on industry trends, new technologies, known defects, and issues.
- Utilise and driving adoption of standard enterprise automation tools within the team.
- Contribute to building a positive, can-do, high-performance culture.
- Eager to learn new technologies and languages as required.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, mathematics or other technical discipline
- Considerable and in depth experience developing Java web applications including frameworks such as Spring or AKKA
- Comfortable working in Linux server environment as part of an Agile team in an enterprise environment
- Experience working with Cassandra or similar database technologies
- Understanding of Service Oriented Architecture and/or Microservices, and experience of creating & consuming REST web services
- Proven experience deploying, configuring, customising and managing commercial packaged software
- Preference for candidates who are actively engaged in the open source community and can demonstrate contribution through GitHub or similar
- Experience working with content management products (eg. EMC InfoArchive/Documentum, IBM CMOD/FileNet, Alfresco) would be a significant advantage
- Experience with search technologies (Solr, ElasticSearch or similar) would be a significant advantage
- An understanding of storage technologies and engineering is preferred
- Proven experience leading and mentoring other developers
- Demonstrated enthusiasm to learn new technologies and takes pride in how fast they develop quality working software and drives improvement in development practices
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time