American Express Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Campus Graduate - 2018 Global Risk Banking and Compliance Summer Intern
- Risk: The Global Operational Risk & Oversight Organization is responsible for managing AXPs “Risk Universe” through continuous monitoring, reviews and testing across American Express processes. This team strengthens AXP’s risk management practices through the latest advances in data science and technology, staying apprised of changing regulatory landscape, and monitoring emerging risks across the industry. This team is responsible for overseeing Enterprise, Operational, Credit, Privacy, Legal, Information Technology, Market, and Model Risk across the company and provides continuous updates to the AXP Chief Risk Officer.
- Compliance: This position is within the Line of Business Compliance team supporting US Consumer Products and Services. This role will provide compliance support, direction and enable solutions to the business to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations for consumer products, capabilities, features and processes.
- Line of Business Compliance Officers:
- Play a critical role within project steering committees, are integral members of project working teams and provide a solution driven approach while considering/mitigating risk.
- Advise and influence key components of product construct design to ensure products and features are built appropriately and in a compliant manner.
- Provide project Governance and Oversight and approve all features and output of test conditions.
- Maintain robust knowledge of critical impacted processes, platforms and corresponding risk and controls.
- Provide continual regulatory advice through every phase of projects.
- US Banks: enables growth across American Express through safe and sound banking practices, leveraging a team with robust banking experience and deep industry and business knowledge. Groups within the US Bank team include:
- Marketing and Product Management: partners with teams across the enterprise to ensure that the affiliate companies that develop and execute marketing strategy and product development for the Banks’ products and services comply with all applicable laws.
- Vendor and Operational Risk: supports strategy execution by leveraging affiliate and third party vendors, managing over 100 affiliate agreements and nearly 1,500 master service agreements, ensuring regulatory expectations are met
- Credit and Fraud Risk: facilitates growth by managing credit and fraud risk for all bank products across the customer life cycle, leveraging deep product, process and regulatory knowledge to smooth potential roadblocks.
- Community Reinvestment Act (CRA): the Banks are responsible for complying with the Community Reinvestment Act (CRA). GRBC assists the Banks compliance efforts through small business regulatory reporting, originating real estate loans and tax credit investment opportunities and managing employees’ volunteerism for community development services.
- Project Management Office: enables the Banks’ strategy goals by lending expertise and hands-on project management oversight across a range of initiatives and regulatory requirements.
- Global Regulatory Affairs (International Banking, Exam Management, Regulatory Relations): building strong partnerships with US and international regulators, driving operational excellence in the handling of examinations and all regulatory interactions, helping to formulate an accurate and appropriate position for the company in connection with matters under regulatory review.
- International Banking: assisting with the development, roll-out and sustainability of our international dashboard – a reporting tool that publishes key data points from our international markets to key stakeholders enterprise-wide to help inform decisions, raise vulnerabilities where applicable and keep management informed of international banking activity including, but not limited to, international exams and regulatory relations.
- Define business requirements and support implementation of the capability for the critical processes
- Develop systemized processes for technology product launches (e.g., project management templates, communication plans, training materials)
- Develop enhanced methodology to derive appropriate thresholds which would result in optimal number and quality of alerts
- Create appropriate benchmark to historical data to optimize efficacy and effectiveness of alerts
- Demonstrated experience building, sustaining and leveraging relationships
- Strong work ethic, organizational skills and attention to detail with excellent follow-up skills
- Demonstrated willingness to take initiative and act decisively
- Ability to think strategically and influence teammates on multiple, cross-functional teams
- Positive, can-do attitude embracing Growth Mindset
- Project management skills with the ability to prioritize and multitask
- Currently enrolled in full-time Graduate degree program
- Students must have a graduation date between December 2018 and June 2019
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize, manage, analyze, and interpret large amounts of data to identify trends and themes
- Proven ability to translate highly technical and complex information into easily understandable terms
- Superior Microsoft Office skills with emphasis on Excel and PowerPoint
- Microsoft Access skills
- Strong understanding and knowledge of bank laws and regulations, relevant compliance requirements, U.S. Bank systems and processes as well as legal contracts and related governance activities a plus.
- Knowledge of relevant regulatory compliance requirements, preferably at a regulated financial institution and / or consumer products and AML/ Anti-Corruption/BSA.
- Commercial real estate or commercial underwriting background, experience in CRA investment vehicles or a Community Development Finance Certification.
- Experience with audit, compliance, risk, regulatory management, marketing and product management, finance, technologies or control related functions is a plus
- SAS, SQL, skills a plus
- Familiarity with statistical/analytical software packages.
- Experience with Archer/SIQ also a plus.
Depending on factors such as business unit requirements, the nature of the position, cost and applicable laws, American Express may provide visa sponsorship for certain positions.
Tags: US reqs - MBA/MS
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time