American Express Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Associate Counsel / Legal Manager
General Counsel’s Organization:
Where great legal minds influence global business strategy.
Our mission is to protect and strengthen American Express through legal expertise and strategic advice that helps our business partners manage risk, identify opportunities, and deliver on the company’s promise of exceptional products and services. Given the dynamic nature of the global payments industry and the valued partnership between our team and the business, we see it as imperative to attract and develop talented people by:
- Providing rich work experiences and opportunities for professional development
- Recognizing and rewarding those who drive and deliver results
- Respecting and valuing diversity, integrity, and personal accountability
Role & Responsibilities:
Help propel your team and its business partners to success.
Here’s just some of what you’ll do in this role:
- Provide legal support and strategic advice to business clients
- Negotiate, draft, and ensure execution of complex agreements and work in close collaboration with other practice groups and subject matter experts across the organization to ensure that issues are appropriately addressed across the organization, including privacy, compliance, bank regulatory, intellectual property, data security and consumer protection.
- Advise business on product, marketing, regulatory issues, as well as development of terms, disclosures and scripting, as needed.
- Effective, cost-conscious targeted engagements of outside counsel where necessary, with a highly disciplined approach to budget management.
- Assist in managing all aspects of complex consumer and commercial litigation (and pre-litigation disputes), including: analysis of disputes, early case assessments, mediations, litigation strategy, review of pleadings, preparation and supervision of arbitrations & trials.
- Help propel your team and its business partners to success.
Are you ready for the challenge?
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years of relevant legal experience
- J.D. and qualified to practice law in relevant jurisdiction (Candidates with this qualification will be given the title of Associate Counsel; those without it will be given the title of Legal Manager.)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage and prioritize competing demands while maintaining high attention to detail and meeting deadlines
- Ability to communicate complex issues clearly and persuasively, in both oral and written format
- Ability to build relationships and partner with others to drive results
- Capacity to be agile and pivot appropriately when challenged with new information or evolving circumstances
- Location: 200 Vesey St, New York, NY 10080
- Travel: Little to none
- Visa Sponsorship: Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for this position.
Delivering extraordinary experiences to its customers and employees every day.
The success of American Express since its inception has been defined by its ability to innovate, evolve, disrupt, and take risks. What has remained constant throughout this history of transformation is our dedication to our customers, to our employees, and to the values on which American Express was built: integrity, quality, respect, and community.
Our open, creative, and collaborative culture is a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. So if you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time