American Express Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Strategic Business Development Manager
At American Express we believe that providing exceptional service to our customers is the company’s greatest asset and we strive every single day to be (coming) the world’s most respected service brand. As a global service company, we endeavour to constantly reinvent our ways of working and to continuously improve our products, services and knowledge in order to deliver high premium quality all around.
Within the company there is a strong believe in constant development and improvement, a believe which not only applies to the business, but to each and every member of the global Amex team.
American Express offers its employees great career opportunities and a challenging and interesting work environment in which continuous development and personal growth are the main points of focus. In addition, intercompany-support is highly encouraged and best-practices from the various markets are shared on a frequent basis.
The Dutch Merchant Services team is the team which connects our valuable card holders with our highly valued merchants by making sure the coverage is expanding further each and every day. This key role within the Dutch Merchant Services Acquisition team is responsible to acquire mid to large sized merchant accounts within the Netherlands through face-to-face visits as well as over the phone.
The successful candidate will be responsible for achieving and exceeding their individual sales targets through diligent management and world-class sales performance.
This position is a direct sales role and includes the following key responsibilities:
- This position reports to the Head of Acquisition whose main responsibility lies in the closing of the coverage gap in the Netherlands. The incumbent is part of the internal Merchant Acquisition team that is directly responsible for a number of key strategic prospects identified as most difficult to sign. By understanding the industry, the competition and the client organization, the incumbent is able to win new client business.
- Using a broad network of contacts, stretching across industries and the marketplace, to identify potential leads. The sales cycle tends to be somewhat long, often taking as much as a year or more. Closing deals requires a strategic, systematic focus and approach.
- You must demonstrate the ability to negotiate and influence decisions at boardlevel, he/she must be effective in articulating and selling the American Express Value Proposition and building and expanding relationships for the long term with a strong focus on Growth, Revenue, Retention and Risk.
- Use the Challenger Selling Model as a guide to teach clients, problem-solve, and tailor sophisticated payment solutions in complex sales environments.
- Influence and innovate to deliver on growth targets, overcome complex client barriers and manage stakeholders across the clients and suppliers organizations.
- Collaborate with key internal partners including Compliance, Finance, Pricing, Risk, Marketing, Product Development, Payment Consulting, Accertify and Operations Business to drive projects and goals.
- Ensure E2E negotiation process & welcome acceptance with signed Merchants in order to maximise charge volume and revenue opportunities. Align with the pan-European industry and pricing strategies.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
This high-profile role will function as a subject matter expert to both internal and external stakeholders and will represent American Express on external events (eg. fairs, congresses).
In order to do so the candidate will need to develop an in-depth understanding of the company, the marketplace and (potential) clients.
- Established sales experience with demonstrable track records of successful win-win negotiations
- Strong ability to develop consultative sales strategies and articulate the value of a customized Amex value proposition to meet customer needs
- High level negotiation skills at board level and across variety of functions (Finance, Sales, operations, IT/Systems)
- Excellent time management and organizational skills to meet all internal requirements (Compliance, Pricing, Risk) at every step of the Acquisition process
- Experience in managing long and complex sales cycles. Ability to manage an effective pipeline
- A thorough understanding of the American Express Value Proposition
- Strong analytical skills – ability to use financial models to support sales negotiation
- Fluent in Dutch and English. Ability to communicate at European level
- Minimum graduated HBO
- Eye for detail
- Team Spirit
- Enthusiastic, Tenacious, strong “will to win”
- Full-time role based in Amsterdam
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time