American Express Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
VP International Privacy & EMEA Privacy Officer
Make an impact on our business and the business world.
This position is part of the Global Privacy and Independent Information Management team in American Express’ Global Risk Oversight function; a second line risk oversight function within Global Risk, Banking and Compliance.
American Express is a global service company, providing customers with exceptional access to products and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. We’re committed to becoming the world’s most respected service brand and daily deliver extraordinary service to our customers, constantly reinventing our ways of working to ensure we offer rich rewards that redefine expectations for our clients and ourselves.
Privacy and information security are key contributors to loyalty, customer experience, and the American Express brand. Independently assessing, managing and overseeing global privacy risk is critical to the Company’s business. A successful candidate will be a deep privacy subject matter expert (with particular expertise in data protection regulation across Europe) and current on industry activities and emerging technologies which impact privacy.
The position requires a strong team player who is adept at collaborating with legal, compliance, operational risk, operational excellence, information security, public affairs and many other partners to promote privacy throughout the enterprise.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Provision of independent privacy risk management across all markets and lines of business – including identification, assessment and mitigation of privacy risk
- Strategic privacy guidance and consultation, including new products, marketing and analytics;
- Supporting the development, coordination and implementation of American Express’ global privacy program;
- Ensuring adherence to the enterprise privacy risk appetite globally through effective privacy oversight and second line of defence challenge;
- Partnering with Compliance and other stakeholders in overseeing privacy legal/regulatory change management;
- Driving effective management and implementation of global or cross-market privacy projects and initiatives (serving as oversight and providing leadership on the strategy/approach);
- Fostering a culture of privacy at American Express by advocating for privacy-by-design, integration of the American Express Data Protection & Privacy Principles, accountability and sharing of best practices.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Experience in privacy risk management and in oversight of governance and controls to manage EU privacy risk effectively; significant experience in a privacy risk management or advisory role dedicated to European data protection regulation
- Strong communication and negotiation skills, with ability to influence across all levels of the organization and indirectly lead and motivate others to work through complexity to drive results
- Highly motivated individual with the ability to drive key strategies forward in partnership with local and central partners
- Ability to build relationships and mobilize cross functional teams in a highly matrixed organisation
- Strong people leadership; ability to lead a small team, developing and coaching other privacy subject matter experts
- Demonstrated ability to deliver projects, both strategic and tactical in nature through effective time management and prioritization
- Experience working in financial services or a highly regulated industry
- University degree (law degree preferred) or equivalent combination of education and business experience
Why American Express?
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world including recognition amongst the World’s Best Multinational Workplaces by Great Place to Work and Glassdoor’s 2017 Best Places to Work. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org or 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time