American Express Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Sr. Engineer - Conversational and Contextual Commerce
American Express is embarking on an exciting transformation driven by an energetic new team of high performers. This group is nimble and creative with the power to shape our technology and product roadmap. If you have the talent and desire to deliver innovative payment products and services at a rapid pace, serving our customers seamlessly across physical, digital, mobile, and social media, join our transformation team!
You will be part of a fast-paced, entrepreneurial Technology team responsible for developing products designed to drive online spend and increase card member engagement through the implementation of conversational and messaging technologies and integrations with Digital Partners in Social Media, Retail and Service Industries. You will be challenged with identifying innovative ideas and proof of concept to deliver against the existing and future needs of our customers.
This is a very exciting opportunity to join an organization leading Digital Transformation within American Express. This organization leads the technology strategy and delivery across multiple business units within American Express, and is responsible for the delivery of ground breaking digital partnerships leveraging cutting-edge technology, and enable incredible digital experiences for American Express Card Members.
- Inspire continuous improvement of the team from a skills, process, and product standpoint
- Partner with the director of engineering to drive the design and implementation of the product vision
- Engage with line of business teams to identify, refine, and fulfill opportunities to enhance the experiences of our customer through technology
- Participate as a key member of the team to drive the technology roadmap for the platforms owned by the team
- Be a hands-on leader that designs, codes, tests, automates, defines and champions best practices, and mentors the rest of the team
- Prioritize features for ongoing sprints in cooperation with product owners and the technical director.
- Managing technical requirements based on industry trends, new technologies, known defects, and issues
Are you up for the challenge?
- At least 7-10 years of software development experience, and preferably a BS or MS degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other technical discipline.
- Experience working with streaming solutions such as Apache Kafka, Kafka Streams, Apache Flink, and Apache Spark.
- Extensive experience mentoring and coaching technical persons.
- Team player and a hands-on engineer.
- Hands on experience in multi-threading programming.
- Working knowledge of http(s), tcp/ip and ssh protocols.
- Extensive experience in designing and implementing secure, highly scalable, highly available enterprise systems.
- Practical knowledge of caching and distributed systems.
- Ability of articulate the design for a wide tech and business groups.
- Staying in touch with industry standards and current technologies is expected.
- Hands-on experience in implementing web applications and API services using REST.
- Experience in profiling/performance analysis of applications.
- Core competencies in distributed technologies including Java, Spring, APIs (REST, SOAP), JSON, XML, Kafka, JDBC, DB2/Oracle, Quartz (Scheduler), SLF4J/LOG4J,JUnit, Jenkins, Maven
- Experience with JBoss/Websphere.
- Commitment to software practices of continuous integration, automated/repeatable testing, and collaborative work environments.
- Ability to think abstractly and deal with ambiguous/under-defined problems.
- Ability to enable business capabilities through innovation
- Demonstrated willingness to learn new technologies and takes pride in how fast they develop working software.
At the core of Software Engineering
Every member of our team must be able to demonstrate the following technical, functional, leadership and business core competencies, including:
- Agile Practices
- Porting/Software Configuration
- Programming Languages and Frameworks
- Business Analysis
- Analytical Thinking
- Business Product Knowledge
Why American Express
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
Depending on factors such as business unit requirements, the nature of the position, cost and applicable laws, American Express may provide visa sponsorship for certain positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time