American Express Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Associate Counsel - Credit & Consumer Law
American Express is a global service company, providing customers with exceptional access to products and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Each day, we make it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they need and for merchants to sell their goods and services, enabling them to do and achieve more.
We currently have a requirement for an ambitious lawyer who has proven experience in any retail financial services, payment services, consumer protection or consumer credit law to provide legal support to senior lawyers in the team who are accountable for all of American Express’ proprietary consumer card issuing business units in the UK.
The position is based in our vibrant HQ in London and reports to Counsel in the UK, in the team which supports the business units mentioned above.
Additionally, this position will be required to provide support on various Regional / EMEA projects or EMEA aspects of global projects.
In this varied and highly interesting role you will also be responsible for the following:
- Proactive role in making sure the UK American Express proprietary consumer card issuing business management and management of other business lines supported through this position understands and complies with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Legal support for International Currency Cards, Insurance and other services, products and benefits of American Express.
- The monitoring of relevant legislative developments at the domestic and international level (in particular EU Directives and Regulations) and proactive analysis of their impacts and thought leadership in advising on their application to the business in particular relating to consumer credit, consumer protection, payment services and data protection.
- Working in partnership with the Compliance Department.
- The management of outside counsel and outside legal fees and, where used as an alternative to outside counsel, contractor lawyers and related expenses.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditional upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
Qualifying Criteria & Personal Attributes
- Working knowledge of applicable EU and UK law relating to some or all of: retail financial services/consumer credit, consumer protection, and/or payment services.
- Admitted to practice law with experience in the UK.
- Solid analytical skills and ability to work under time pressure to meet tight deadlines and client’s expectations.
- Strong relationship skills with proven ability to adopt a commercial, business orientated approach, take charge and “get things done”.
- Able to communicate clearly, concisely, effectively and persuasively with clients, senior business and GCO management and external parties, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to seamlessly work in a matrix structure and the willingness to add new subject areas and areas of responsibilities to portfolio.
- Excellent technical and business skills including contract drafting and budget management.
- Able and willing to work both as part of a team and independently with minimal supervision.
Why American Express?
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world including recognition amongst the World’s Best Multinational Workplaces by Great Place to Work and Glassdoor’s 2017 Best Places to Work. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com or 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time