American Express Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Manager/Senior Manager, Risk Management
The Manager will join at team responsible for overseeing a portfolio with exposure of over $5Billion. You will be a Regional Risk Officer and on the front line, protecting the merchant business P&L from loss, while carefully balancing the merchant relationship with Amex. The Manager/Sr. Manager must have good judgment, excellent communication skills, be analytical, motivated and be a strategic thinkers, who can both dive into numeric financial details while still being able to conduct negotiations with C-Suite executives across a variety of industries. Our team members are often considered “jack of all trades” people, who are self-directed and make decisions that have high stake profitability and risk tradeoffs. Additionally, our team plays a central role in both the GMS and Risk organizations by collaborating with client managers, credit rating team members and attending various risk committees.
- This exciting role, within Global Merchant Services (GMS) Risk Management, will be responsible for verifying exposures through financial reviews, calls with merchants and client managers, and review of other external information.
- The incumbent will have responsibility for prioritizing a book of risky merchants with billions of dollars in credit exposure, proactively managing challenging negotiations with top CEO’s and CFO’s, and navigating internal stakeholders to gain alignment on a timeline to take action with our merchants.
- The incumbent will leverage institutional risk principles to validate metrics such as Exposure-at-Default, Loss-Given-Default and non-delivery exposure.
- In addition, by being close to the fundamental metrics that drive profitability and RoEC (Return on Economic Capital), the incumbent will have opportunities to drive projects to help AXP win in the marketplace.
- This role includes in-depth analytics, developing and monitoring key credit metrics, designing risk mitigation strategies and customer facing negotiations that will strengthen American Express’s competitive advantage and brand promise in the market.
- Handle the responsibility for the end-to-end risk strategy of a portion of the portfolio of thousands of strategic large merchants.
- The role also includes working on special projects when needed, the ability to prepare presentations for upper management, pull data to support team BAU projects such as Large Loss Reporting, C1 or Worse Reviews, and other industry specific risk initiatives.
The successful candidate must be able to work under their own initiative and be able to problem solve in times of fast changing priorities. In addition, he/she must be able to navigate through very stressful, urgent, complex and ambiguous situations independently while seeking the win-win solution. Whilst striving for work life balance the role will demand some flexibility due to the global nature of the wider team. Importantly, you must be passionate about what you do, proud about what you deliver and be prepared to go the extra mile to make a difference.
The incumbent must have the ability to apply analytical/quantitative and negotiating techniques which translates results to business solutions. Other critical strengths include very strong relationship management and communication skills. The applicant must be a self-starter with demonstrated ability to work proactively and independently to drive results within a strong team environment. The ability to influence others and manage multiple concurrent projects in a dynamic environment will be essential. Experience working in highly cross functional environments is desirable, as is the flexibility and adaptability to work with tight deadlines and changing priorities. In addition, the following qualifications are desired:
- Previous Merchant Acquiring Risk, Client Management or Commercial Credit Underwriting experience throughout multiple industries is desirable
- Strong financial and analytical acumen, financial credit and/or accounting knowledge, comfort with numbers, excel and financial statements is a must
- Very strong negotiation and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Previous experience within a client facing role with C-Level (CEO, CFO and Treasurers) counterparts
- Ability to confidently present complex credit metrics to CFO and CEOs of multi-million dollar companies preferred
- Understanding of Bankruptcy Law and Preference Period Risk is desirable
- Demonstrated relationship building skills and experience managing multiple stakeholders
- Self-starter able to navigate a dynamic environment and make decisions using ambiguous information at times
- Creative thinker who thrives on finding unique solutions, particularly in workout scenarios, which enable all parties to “win”
- Knowledge of SQL, Terradata, GMAR or SAS desirable, but not required, interest in learning these skills strongly preferred
- MBA, CFA or equivalent work experience preferred
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time