American Express Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Counsel (Level 1) - Global Commercial Services
Where great legal minds influence global business strategy.
Our mission is to protect and strengthen American Express through legal expertise and strategic advice that helps our business partners manage risk, identify opportunities, and deliver on the company’s promise of exceptional products and services. Given the dynamic nature of the global payments industry and the valued partnership between our team and the business, we see it as imperative to attract and develop talented people by:
- Providing rich work experiences and opportunities for professional development
- Recognizing and rewarding those who drive and deliver results
- Respecting and valuing diversity, integrity, and personal accountability
An opportunity exists within the legal team supporting American Express Global Commercial Services, which provides a broad range of card and lending products, corporate expense management programs and digital solutions to small, medium, large and multinational companies around the globe. This role specifically supports Business Financing which provides lending, vendor payment and supply chain solutions to corporate customers. The attorney in this position will work with clients across multiple functional areas (product, business, marketing, capabilities, tech, risk, information management) to launch and enhance products and partnerships for Business Financing. This position is well-suited for someone with a banking or lending background who has always wanted to work in a fast paced in-house environment supporting rapidly evolving products. Demonstrable experience in the payments or financial services industries and/or with drafting secured or unsecured loan documentation will be well regarded. Some of the products that will be supported by this position are:
Help propel your team and its business partners to success.
- Be the principal legal advisor to the Business Financing marketing/servicing and partnerships teams. Projects may include: marketing review and advice, crafting compliant, customer-friendly communications, and drafting and negotiating partnership, customer and vendor agreements.
- Provide advice and guidance on new product development, feature enhancements and any resulting legal or regulatory implications.
- Support escalations from operations and risk, including advising on customer remediation issues together with Compliance.
- Collaborate closely, and develop strong relationships with, colleagues across the General Counsel’s Organization including subject matter experts in anti-trust, litigation, technology, cybersecurity and privacy.
- Bachelor’s degree & J.D. from a highly respected law school
- Qualified to practice law in NY or eligibility to do so
- 4+ years of experience as an attorney with reputable, highly-rated law firms and/or companies
- Excellent drafting and negotiation skills
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills; fits message to audience
- Demonstrable project-management and problem-solving skills; well-developed attention to detail
- Ability to interpret and apply law and regulation in a practical, commonsense manner
- Ability to identify and implement process improvements to enhance efficiency and productivity
- Ability to prioritize, manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Excellent relationship building and influencing abilities with a collaborative work style
- Proficiency with UCC Article 9 and/or Bankruptcy Code a plus
Workplace Flexibility: Potential to work remotely part of the time based on current projects and team needs.
Sponsorship: Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for this position.
Delivering extraordinary experiences to its customers and employees every day.
The success of American Express since its inception has been defined by its ability to innovate, evolve, disrupt, and take risks. What has remained constant throughout this history of transformation is our dedication to our customers, to our employees, and to the values on which American Express was built: integrity, quality, respect, and community.
Our open, creative, and collaborative culture is a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. So if you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time