American Express Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Engineering Director - Database Technologies
This role is leading a team of data experts within the Next Generation Data Management team responsible that is responsible for architecting technical solutions and building scalable database architecture to support new business growth initiatives and critical regulatory/compliance demands. Responsible for modernization of database engineering to include NOSQL and Big Data technologies across enterprise.
The director role will be responsible for leading transforming the tech and business capabilities of critical company platforms / products leveraging the evolving technical landscape of Data technology to accelerate business growth. Driving software delivery and support through a team of direct reports that typically include data engineers and data architects.
The successful candidate will bring solid skills of software engineering and database technology trends that will enable increased usage of open source and modern database technologies. This person will train and direct a team of Data Architects and Database Analysts to ensure delivery of data solutions that meet business needs and requirements. This person will provide technical direction to resources, while actively participating in database design, API design and open source integration activities in partnership with the Enterprise Information Management and Unit CIO / Application teams. This position will also provide leadership to cross-functional teams while serving as the primary point of contact from inception to delivery for database needs.
- Manage data stories across multiple agile software product development teams that realize the company’s technology vision and strategy in a scalable, iterative environment
- Attract, retain and grow top data engineering talent across the organization, providing guidance, career development and mentorship to team members
- Foster and drive innovation and experimentation, delivering software and database solutions that meet or exceed customer and stakeholder expectations, often helping shape business requirements in a manner that optimally leverages technology teams
- Deliver database products that provides superior user experiences, linking customer needs and business drivers together through innovative product engineering
- Cultivate an environment of engineering excellence and continuous improvement, leading changes that drive efficiencies into existing engineering and delivery processes
- Work with application partners to assimilate new DB technology into scalable software solutions, leveraging and contributing to engineering best practices across the company
- Possess a strong technical background and able to learn & apply new technologies quickly and efficiently
- Leads the design and development, quality and economics of database delivery within Next Generation Data Management team within Amex
- Drives the optimization of data footprint and rationalization of applications
- Provides direction for technical and business resources that actively participate in database selection and implementation
- Influence the product and technology roadmap with strategic database vendors
- 10+ years of large-scale technology delivery and formal management in a complex environment and/or comparable experience.
- Possess a strong technical background and able to learn & apply new topics quickly and efficiently
- Solid experience in modern data architectures (e.g. Postgres, Couchbase, Cassandra, Hbase, mongoDB, etc) and various other SQL storage engines
- Solid experience and technical skills for database management systems (Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, NOSQL). Knowledge of SQL, database design, infrastructure, performance and tuning, backup/recovery, high availability design, ACID, etc.
- Fluency in advanced Data Modeling development tools such as ErStudio, ErWin,Toad Data Modeler, etc
- Experience with Data Warehousing, Business Intelligence and ETL tools is a strong plus
- Prior relevant professional work experience including data architecture, database design, database development, or development and program management experience is a must
- Requires hands on technical knowledge of database administration and data management techniques
- Requires technical and business knowledge in multiple disciplines including data modeling, database design, and SQL Experience managing in a fast paced , complex and dynamic global environment
- External technology contributions (patents, noteworthy Open Source attributions, publications, etc.) is a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, or related field required; advanced degree preferred
- Recognized as an expert engineering leader, whose input is widely solicited across the organization
- Continually delivering superior software products that obtain the optimal balance between leveraging reusable components and introducing new technology that benefits platforms across AET
- Building and supporting an exemplary collection of agile scrum teams, each operating at a high level of maturity
- Deep functional knowledge of AXP organization and business processes to effectively influence software solutions
- Expertise in creating an environment that allows high performing engineering teams to write and deliver great software products
- Proven track record in delivering large-scale IT initiatives and multi-year roadmaps across business units
- Capable of leading technology change with excellent strategic and technical thought leadership, and a strong focus on delivering Premium Customer Value
- Proven planning, follow-up and coordination of technology efforts encompassing all technical domains
- Excellent leadership and communication skills, with the ability to influence at all levels across functions, from both technical and non-technical perspectives alike; able to lead intelligent business and technology conversations with Senior level business leaders
- Proficient managerial skills as required to operate a large organization, including budgeting, resource planning, staff management, etc.
- Able to define, influence and deliver DB software solutions against strategic plans that promote Company Platform objectives
- Outstanding influential and collaboration skills; ability to drive consensus and tangible outcomes, demonstrated by breaking down silos and fostering cross communication process
- Technical expertise related to the core components of the Technology Platform’s tech stack, as well as delivery optimization techniques in a ‘total dev’ continuous delivery environment
- Expert-level relevant hands-on engineering skills across a broad range of technologies, including deep expertise in database design using state-of-the-art techniques
- Able to manage multiple priorities and rapidly guide the organization through change moments
- Ability to manage large-scale applications in terms of performance, production assurance, capacity planning and threat mitigation
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time