American Express Careers
Full Stack Web Development - Engineer
Our API journey that started with three primary goals – establish a common API Platform across the Enterprise; connect the company through APIs, and enable our Partners and Merchants to engage directly with American Express through external facing APIs – has advanced significantly. There is tremendous momentum across the company with hundreds of internal and external APIs that are consumed millions of times a month.
Become part of American Express’s digital enterprise evolution by joining the American Express Technology team in creating robust API Portals for public and internal developers around the world through the creation of amazing user experiences for our developer communities. An example of one of the sites you will become responsible for is the Amex for Developers (https://developer.americanexpress.com/home) portal. You will be part of a fast-paced Agile team building responsive solutions designed to simplify access to the Amex Platform.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Developing components across the stack from our DB to the Web
- Capability tuning within the application and with integrated platforms
- Mentoring junior engineering staff
- Troubleshooting issues and working with product support teams to resolve problems and perform root cause analysis
- Working closely with Product Owners in researching and prototyping new capabilities that improve the overall user experience
- Advanced understanding of web application development challenges, patterns, and security considerations.
- 5+ years of software development experience in a professional environment including:
- Hands-on expertise with RESTful API development with Java.
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, or related field preferred
- Provable experience in developing web stacks integrating standard components and Open Source sub-components
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Collaborative work ethic and ability to work in a team-oriented culture
- Ability to demonstrate sound judgment and execute against deliverables under deadlines and competing priorities
- Highly focused, organized, and detail-oriented
- Passionate about creating great technology products and is always looking for creative & innovative solutions to meet or exceed our business partners’ needs
- Strong technical aptitude with an intense desire to learn new skills and industry trends
- Demonstrated experience in Agile development, application design, software development, and testing
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time