American Express Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Senior Mainframe Operations Engineer - CI/CD
When millions of customers count on you,
It takes hundreds of critical applications and utilities to support our customers. Our Operations Engineers know there’s no excuse for missed availability targets, outages, or unresolved problems. So if you have the skill and the resolve to keep everything running smoothly, you owe it to yourself to look into a career with American Express.
American Express has embarked on an exciting transformation to change the landscape of Main Frame development. Driven by an energetic team of high performers, we will bring modern CICD and DevOps automation to the Mainframe space. If you have the talent and desire to deliver innovative products and services at a rapid pace, join our transformation team. You will join a rock star operations team that will deliver the next generation of automation tooling into a space that needs automation.
You will work across a wide range of tools and use an even wider range or technologies to deliver world class solutions. The innovations you create will allow Mainframe development teams to initiate an automated build, deploy just like their mid-range counterparts. This will allow Mainframe development to follow Agile practices and let go of the waterfall methods they have incorporated up to this point. You will create custom solutions as well as work with off the shelf software products to enable this transformation. We are a start-up, we will wear many hats, work fast and smart, and adapt and iterate quickly.
- Serve as a core member of agile team that designs, develops and operates software applications and tests and builds automation tools
- Partners with customers and other internal teams and technical product managers to deliver enhancements to the platform
- Uses technical acumen to provide design alternatives, ask probing questions and support the team in technical issue resolution
- Spot disruptions before they happen. Identify and mitigate risks. Identify reengineering opportunities.
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or a related technical field with 6+ years of Software Engineering experience
- 5+ years as Production Support or Operations Engineer or in a DevOps role with Cobol or PL1
- 5+ years of experience supporting Mainframe DB systems like DB2, IMS DB, SQL, DB2 stored procedure
- Knowledge of scripting languages like Rexx, Clist or ISPF Macros
- OLTP: CICS, IMS DC
- Experience with tools like IBM Debugger and IBM File Manager
- Operating systems MVS and Z OS
- Experience with CM tools like Change Man/RTC/Endeavor/ISPW
- Experience with job processing JCL
- Debugging tools like Intertest or Xpeditor
- Sorting tools like ICETOOL, DFSORT or SYNCSORT
- Ability to troubleshoot issues in complex environments using tools like Abendaid
- SPUFI, QMF, BMC catalog manager, fileaid db2 etc. there are loads of tools for db2 queries and running other db2 utilities.
- Passionate about operational excellence and documentation.
- Detail-oriented with strong thought leadership and analytical abilities
- A positive, can-do attitude and great relationship building skills
- Excellent written and Verbal communication skills
- Experience with IBM or Compuware toolsets, specifically Rationale suite(RDz, RTC or Urban Code deploy) or Topaz, Topaz Workbench and ISPW.
- Experience in architectural best practices.
- Should have extensive support experience of critical applications, preferably for big banks or financial institutions
- Good working understanding of Securities Lending or some exposure to working in projects for financial institutions preferable
- Application development experience preferred
At the core of Service Delivery
Every member of our team must be able to demonstrate the following technical, functional, leadership and business core competencies, including:
- Agile Practices
- Programming Languages and Frameworks
- SDLC Methodologies and Practices
- Business Analysis
- Financial Management
- Analytical Thinking
- Problem Solving
Why American Express
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time